Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Mardy

Started by gwcrim, August 04, 2019, 03:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwcrim

Many thanks to Mark for bringing the place back to life.

I'll add to the content with a teaser of my '75 RD350.  I know everyone's been dying to find out what progress I've made.

Before and not quite after.

SUPERTUNE

Wow, that's different!
I think it will look great if you do the rest of the RD right.
Like wrong painted frame and silver side covers can ruin a whole look.
Chuck 
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

m in sc

i dig it. I painted my 1st rd green, not that bright, but it works on there regardless. Looking forward to this.  :cheerleader:

gwcrim

The overall color scheme will be pretty standard.  Here's Mardy in more traditional orange. 

Organicjedi

Love the tracker look. What kind of coating do you have on the pipes?

gwcrim

The pipes are powder coated.  It's started to flake off near the heads a tiny bit.  Ceramic probably would have been better but I've had that flake as well.

Organicjedi

Quote from: gwcrim on August 07, 2019, 04:58:09 PM
The pipes are powder coated.  It's started to flake off near the heads a tiny bit.  Ceramic probably would have been better but I've had that flake as well.

It looks good.

Ceramic is way better on anything that needs to shed heat. Powder holds heat, ceramic dissipates it.  :twocents:

Weird that it flaked off.

motodreams

It is plastic.  Heat cycling makes it brittle.  Nice bike.  I like the green tank!

gwcrim

So last night I did a lot of painting.  Got the side covers and front fender done.  Krylon Jungle Green rattle can covered with 2K clear.  I'm very happy with the results.  Parts were painted in Crim's World Famous outdoor paint booth.  I did have to pry a few bugs out of the front fender.   :-[ 

Next up,  finish the tail and tank!

motodreams

How does that come out with 2K clear compared to a pro job? 

My rattle can skills are quite excellent and wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

2 Stroke Jamoke

I found the 2k spray max to be very easy to use, I had excellent results. I had to let it dry for several days before I was comfortable wet sanding and buffing but that is par for course. Here's a few pics of it right after it was sprayed, then one from the meet this year when it was buffed out

gwcrim

I give 2K clear two thumbs up.   :thumbs: :thumbs:

I laid down several coats of Krylon and then several coats of 2K, waiting just  few minutes to flash.  I considered 1200 wet sanding and then polishing but I'm not that particular and the as is finish was pretty darn good.

paul1478

I have my RD at work today in order stop by a few paint shops on the way home to get estimates. After seeing what you guys did with spray paint and clear, if too high I may try that myself.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

gwcrim

FYI:  The cost of my rattle can paint job was easily under $100.  2K clear was the most expensive item at approximately $20 a can.  I used one can for the front fender and side panels.  Probably one can will do the tank and tail.  Sandpaper was sourced from Harbor Freight.  Krylon came from Lowes. 

SoCal250

I really like that green. Great job! :clap:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)