This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

The G3SS w cr motor.

Started by m in sc, August 07, 2019, 11:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

after some confusion (language barrier issues) the cdi w lighting coil is finally on way from HPI. I hope they got it right.  :dawg:

:toot:

m in sc

So, the hpi finally showed up. Now, 1st off it was really cheap overall, and as far as i know, the only one they have done with alighting coil for this bike. so, they modified a regular 210 unit back plate... and -almost- got it.  :dawg: luckily i have a lathe so all good there. also, the 2 mounting bolt holes are NOT (stock) same distance, and when they did the hpi plate, they missed one by about 3mm. somebody forgot to offset a caliper for radius.

so, i made an alignment plug and used the stock cdi backing plate as a drill guide. did 2 sets of holes incase i wanted to change clocking.

also, the thru hole was too small to go down over the flange @ the crank, so bored out to 38mm to center on the case. 

drilled.

used winding mount as an ID grip and then bored open the hole on the plate:

then, onto the stator. floated the ground. what you do is remove the grounded end of stator winding from ground, take off the eyelet, and tie it to a second output wire.  fishing the wire through the HPI wrap was not too bad using a section of stainless tig wire. (do this 1st)

mount back on plate and done. 

make sure you know what the stock max timing is.... because its usually NOT published on cdi bikes.

set crank to that position, then set cdi rotor to line up with mark on plate at max adv and zip down.

:bacon:

now i nee dto add the rest of the elctrical, which includes a tiny lead acid battery, 0.8 ah, 12v. also a gps sdpeedometer and regulator rectifier. thats next.

tiny battery:

yes, thats a pen on the top for size reference.

hopefully i can get it fired up tonight or tomorrow, see if the timings close.

ebay gps speedometer. this thing will just do 80 mph so should be good.

SoCal250

:clap: :thumbs: That's cool

Wish they made one for an aircooled RD125
EDIT:  Just double-checked and it appears they do!  Part # 210K176
           (I thought I had looked into it and the past and they didn't. Hmm.)

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

its an interesting setup for sure. got it running and charging last night. TBH its better all AC lighting if you can, but i converted to DC and its hitting 14v at a relatively high rpm, but this thing is always revving so its ok. everything is led and the only other load will be a gps speedometer, which hopefully i can install tonight. they also sell a half wave rectifier so headlight can be ac, and also charge battery.   I mean.,for the money, its hard to beat. motor def sounds crisper with it.

m in sc

a few more shots, and speedo installed. got the battery mounted on the side under the LH cover, under it is the voltage regulator. on the other side of the bike (rh side cover) is the cdi unit and the coil. the HPI seems to charge the battery ok, goes over 13v when revving, and the lights are bright.

gps speedometer also installed, easier to read out front considering how small the bike is. the antenna is on the RH side on a fender stay under the steering damper.

took it back out Saturday after i got all this tied back up and wiring secured, seems to run crisper w the hpi and start easier.

needless to say, most of these pics were all taken w the bodywork off, its all sorted now and wires tied up and secured.

dare i say im 'done' for now.  :vroom:

Kawtriplefreak

SoCal250

Lookin good! :clap: That little bike is awesome
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

m in sc

so this thing was giving me fucking fits getting it dialed in. The HPI is doing its jop for sure, but i had an intermittent issue w the charging coil where i floated the ground, so had to resolder that end secure it differently. Then tuning was off a bit as well i guess, not related but still. Finally got the tune where it needs to be, which took a good chunk of Saturday and lots of annoyed neighbors. well, sort of.

I also had to use a slightly larger battery as the tiny one was discharging a bit much at idle, so went to a TTR50 unit, which -just- fit in the sidecover and seems to have cured it.

also reclocked and bent the kicker  a bit more to make more reasonable to start, was super awkward.

got it up to 75 mph on a short test run Saturday but too much traffic to really rail on it. But, its 95-98% id say.  :cheerleader:

Evans Ward

Bad Ass little screamer!  :thumbs: Love the 71 paint scheme and graphics for Kawasaki including this model. I'll bet cops do a double take when you take it out on the streets!  :eek: :olaf:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

m in sc

i try to avoid cops.. lol. Im kinda asking for it on this thing (yes its 100% legal though)

Im pretty sure this one will stay home this year for the gap. That might change.

Kawtriplefreak

Glad you got it sorted. I love that bike :patriot: :patriot:

OnlyCrimnson

Super cool bike. I bought a cheapie radiator that looks similar to that one for my RM85 mini and it is surprisingly well made.

soonerbillz

This is seriously a very nice build.
I love stuff like this.

m in sc

from last thurs at bike night, my friend Adam taking it out.

:toot: