News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Fresh Seat

Started by Czakky, August 15, 2019, 01:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

On the old forum there was a guy who reupholstered his R5/DS7 seat. Apparently there is a trick to removing the metal trim piece.
Anybody have experience with this?

Striker1423

I redid mine. But it was already a recover. So instead of the stock pins that held on the trim, it was small screws and chunks of sheet metal. So, the pins and backers themselves are available for cheap on Yambits.

To remove them I think they are pressed on, might be able to pop the old pin backers off and the trim should pull out of the old seat and through the old cover. As well, the trim piece is like a track. It has cutouts where the pins are inserted or removed on both front sides of the trim. This allows you to get the trim started by popping the back pins through the cover and one at a time sliding the rest of the pins down the track and into place.

I used a space heater to stretch the cover over the seat after saran wrapping the foam. It is hell on the fingers and hard to get straight. I now know why upholstery isn't cheap to do!

Czakky

This is sounding more like a job to be hired out. My problem is the seat is such an eyeful I want it to be just right. Most recover/refoam jobs look too tall for my eyes.

Yamaha did it correctly.

Thanks for the input Striker.

Organicjedi

Czakky

Not a purist, but it's gotta have that trim for my eyes. Plus I've got the ingredients, might as well do it the way I want. A big fat fanny seat from the 70s!

2t Fan

Yambits selling seats with fiber base

Czakky

Not happy with my results. I'll roll with it for now but might try a different foam/cover combo.

2t, you gotta link? I couldn't find it.

2t Fan

Czakky

This is the seat that texavina carries that I'm considering. I'd like to see how it lines up with the stock fender though.

https://texavina.com/1970-1972-yamaha-rd350-r5-ds7-solo-cafe-racer-sport-motorcycle-seat-sku-t2080/

85RZwade

That's a nice looking piece, I'd be happy to put that on my RD.
Wade
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

Yes, that is a good looking seat.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Organicjedi

I've been impressed with Texavina's selection, quality and customer service... and prices!

paul1478

I would love to find a seat more like the 78. I like the idea of bring the tank color down the seat and onto the back of the seat.
I have seen a few but they are just fiberglass shells and I am not a fabricator and would never make it work without duck tape and zip ties.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

Oil Burner

Quote from: Organicjedi on February 11, 2020, 04:16:19 PM
I've been impressed with Texavina's selection, quality and customer service... and prices!

Agreed. I initially ordered a seat from Texavina and there was a considerable gap at the tank. I e-mailed them and they sent out a new seat that fit perfect at no charge, and never even asked for the old one back! Foam is a little firm.

Now I just need to get my tank painted  :vroom: