Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Anyone watch MCRider?

Started by Striker1423, August 29, 2019, 04:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

This is a great channel on YouTube teaching skills and road strategy on riding motorcycles.  It came in handy for me the other day.

I took the RD out for a day ride to Harsens Island for a DNR hosted event and consequently was too late to enjoy it. But that's not the fault of my near wreck.

I did not expect that the rear drum was even remotely capable of locking up the tire on the RD. Well folks it definitely can! The situation was simple. I was on a 2 lane road just cruising behind a classic car. Some sort of 50's Chrysler. To my right I passed a bar and in the parking lot was around 150 bikes or so. Mostly Harleys and guys standing around the lot. Seeing my opportunity I revved the motor a bit and got a few looks.

Dumb idea. As I immediately let out the clutch and turned my head to look forward. The classic car was maybe 10 feet in front of me and braking for a turn into a driveway just past the bar.
Oops.

Stood on the  rear brake but didn't grab too large a handful of the front. Then I heard a tire squeal and wondered who's it was. Oh its mine. I found out as the bike began to fishtail back and forth. Luckily the car was making his turn and I skimmed just to the left of the back bumper and let out the clutch and came off the brakes. The bike righted itself and I rolled on the throttle to avoid a high side. It worked and I kept going.

I got the biggest evil eye from the classic car driver and the most embarrassing feeling ever. The adrenaline didn't wear off for another 8 controlled and slow miles.

I thankfully practiced some avoidance maneuvers and hard braking after watching Kevin on MCRider. Need to practice as much as possible folks! I don't need to be in the hospital, nor does my poor RD.

m in sc

glad you made it out ok. i actually prefer a rear drum on a light bike. and yeah, they can lock up pretty easy if you step hard enough.   

SoCal250

Did you head home immediately after that to change your underwear? :dawg: Glad you came out of it unscathed.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Aloha808

I am glad you made it through the situation physically unscathed. Thanks for bringing MCRider to my attention. I will definitely watch it.  Riding in Honolulu can be a challenge with the constant traffic congestion.

Thanks again,
Russ