News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Giving new life to a Bonanza!

Started by Rizingson, August 12, 2019, 07:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizingson

I first saw this 1967 Yamaha Bonanza about 5 years ago, but passed on taking it with me. It had spent 40+ years in a barn and then another 5 years in an abandoned munitions bunker. After getting another chance at it, now it's time to finally get this street bike back into riding condition. Since the trend now is to leave bikes completely original as opposed to full restorations, I've attempted to do just exactly that. While this bike appeared to be well preserved under a lot of dust and road tar, it would take dismantling and more work than I anticipated, to be able to give it a deep cleaning. More than once I was tempted to forgo the clean up and proceed with blasting and a nut and bolt restoration.

Here you can see the heavy layer of protective dirt and grime that was on this YCS1 when I first saw it 5 years ago. Thankfully the climate in Southern Colorado isn't humid and rust wasn't an issue.

First I needed to lose the sissy bar and luggage rack combo as well as the crash bar. Then after a good washing with a pressure washer which still left plenty of grime everywhere, it was time to haul it home and get serious with cleaning it up. They said it would be fun!

As with many barn finds, a little time is needed to remove old batteries and mouse nests. This is starting to look a little uglier, especially around the electric systems.

I was hoping to start with the front of the bike and work my way back with cleaning. Here I've removed the front wheel, which got a new ribbed tire and tube installed. Also a little clean up and polishing on the front fender and forks.

Much further disassembly was required to get into all the nooks and crannies. Here I've removed the whole rear end. Was surprised that the engine had spark here, a good sign!

After continuing clean up, a new Avon rear tire is installed, rear fender and mufflers polished up! Some areas around tool box and battery compartment did need some touch up, but still trying to preserve original paint in areas that are seen when side cover, seat and tank are back in place. Hope it's still considered a survivor!  :umm:

Had to get it off the lift so I could start getting other bikes ready for upcoming shows. So I took it outside for a couple more photo's. Finally finished except waiting for new turn signals to arrive and some final carburetor sorting.

Cockpit view showing pretty average mileage on this one, hope it still has a few more miles in it!

Now all I need to do is get motivated once again to get my matching '68 YCS1-C Bonanza scrambler up and running. One more project out of the way for now!

Czakky

I like the originality, looks like a fun little bike.

murphywv

that's a cool little bike! Is that a black bomber in the background?
1974 RD350 not stock
KTM 300 XC-W
Beta 500R-SS
And a big ol' chopper

teazer

Looks more like a CB160, but same era.

edgefinder

That's the way I like to see them brought back to life. Outstanding job!!

SoCal250

Quite the transformation from the dusty barn find. Nice work!   :clap:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Organicjedi

Kawtriplefreak