Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD400 under construction

Started by rd400greenhorn, February 16, 2019, 02:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dvsrd

I guess there is as many opinions on break in procedure as about oil or tires....In my opinion/experience, short bursts of accelleration/ load is good, and helps seal the rings. Being too cautious is definitely not a good thing. Neither is constant speed/rpm at low load (cruising)  Vary between cruising, accelleration and engine braking. Mark in Sc recently posted a comment about break in, cannot remember in which thread.
Just don't hold it wide open more than a few seconds at a time in the beginning, and give it some time to cool off between each burst. And keep it below 5 or 6 k to begin with.

rd400greenhorn

Yeah so i run premix, so No oilpump.
Engine breaking is not good when running premix? Starving then engine for oil..

But ive run it a few times just idle, few blips on the throttle, had a little run down the street in gear but it shifts not to good ( the vintage smoke shifter needs modning)
It SMOKES like crazy but I put in a solid amount of oil.

So, properly wont be running it more for now
Having the last fabrication done in the next weeks??

Then powder and then assemble and some more wiring work.

Stay tuned👌

rd400greenhorn

Plenty of castrol in the first start in over 4 decades 😁👍

SoCal250

Quote from: Dvsrd on May 09, 2020, 10:12:11 AM
I guess there is as many opinions on break in procedure as about oil or tires....In my opinion/experience, short bursts of accelleration/ load is good, and helps seal the rings. Being too cautious is definitely not a good thing. Neither is constant speed/rpm at low load (cruising)  Vary between cruising, accelleration and engine braking. Mark in Sc recently posted a comment about break in, cannot remember in which thread.
Just don't hold it wide open more than a few seconds at a time in the beginning, and give it some time to cool off between each burst. And keep it below 5 or 6 k to begin with.

To add to the above comment...

Dr. Quenzler recently posted his tips on engine break-in. He does this for a living and has been at it for a long time so he's the one to listen to!
http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=646.msg4624#msg4624
http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=1622.msg13402#msg13402
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

rd400greenhorn

Just a small update
Having a number plate holder fabricated, also in stainless.

I think i will have it in 2 weeks and then Its of to powder.

rd400greenhorn

Allright.. Last fabrication is done... I Will hopefully get some of to powder this week..
I Hope you enjoy 😁
Stay tuned

rd400greenhorn

Minor job, before powder next week. Needed to drill a hole and use this rubber inlet, for the wiring from the license plate light and blink.

85RZwade

You've put some very nice parts together very well and it looks great!  :vroom:
I post waayyy too much

rd400greenhorn

Thank you
Its getting there!

Off for powder

rd400greenhorn

Allright guys
A little progress for the weekend..

Got the parts back from powder, same Black as the rims  :devil:
Fitted nice blink in the rear on the custom plate holder and a rizoma license plate light. Works great!

Things i need to adress :

A bracket to hold the speed sensor for the magnet ( fits snugly in the bolt, see image)
Last wiring cleaned up and make the speedo show rpm from the correct wiring with the ignition.
Paint the bike ( not sure what iam going for)
Upolstry the seat pan
New fuel lines and filters
And some other Bits and pieces.

Should be about it   :umm:

Enjoy

rd400greenhorn

Allright.. Messed around with it All day, got more wiring done, cleaned up a bit,
Allthough i still need to fabricate a bracket for the speed sensor, connect a wire from the speedo to the coil somehow so i can see revs, and to connect the neutral wire.

Besides that, everything seems to work :clap:
Got the tank on with some heavy dute fuel line on i had, used an old petcock oem, as My rsptor conversion petcock, one of the connections fell off.. 🤔

But, allthough iam. Not sure that it gets enough fuel, I got it started and My god I had forgot how loud it actually is 😁 its nuts!. But smeels and sounds so damn good

Tomorrow i Will try it out up and down the road if the fuelling works.. I Want to test My gears..
I adjusted the rear sets today, might do the trick..

Enjoy

Organicjedi

I like where this is headed. Well done! :olaf:

OnlyCrimnson

This is looking very nice  8)

Hardy

License bracket is cool, but won't your plate cover it?

rd400greenhorn

Yes it Will :)
But figured might as well remove materiale rather then just a plate of metal 😉