Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

air filters

Started by gwcrim, October 10, 2019, 10:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

~JM~

I take it there is no road dirt or dust where you guys ride?

It's not a filter without oil suspension.

m in sc

um, yeah it is. still captures stuff. ive never had one pass stuff thru.  :twocents:

~JM~

Quote from: m in sc on October 12, 2019, 06:29:08 PM
um, yeah it is. still captures stuff. ive never had one pass stuff thru.  :twocents:

I used to run K&N filters. Until I found fine dust on the "clean" side of the intake tract. I now use oiled foam, or paper. The fine dust in the SW desert will pass through inferior filters.  The foam filters rely upon oil suspension to trap the dust. It's your engine to do as you please. I'm surprised this conversation even exists.

m in sc

ak&n is not a uni, the matrix of a foam filter is much more complex than thin gauze. been running uni filters on street bikes over 25 years this way, never once had a contamination issue. to that point however, unis on a 2 stroke will get oily on the inside from just running the bike, so they do have oil on them.

Organicjedi

Quote from: m in sc on October 12, 2019, 10:44:43 PM
ak&n is not a uni, the matrix of a foam filter is much more complex than thin gauze. been running uni filters on street bikes over 25 years this way, never once had a contamination issue. to that point however, unis on a 2 stroke will get oily on the inside from just running the bike, so they do have oil on them.

Agreed. Never had an issue. It's not very dusty where I'm at and yes, the backwash seems to get plenty of oil on the pods for what I need.

Maybe those in other climates like in the desert or those who ride on gravely roads a lot could benefit from extra oil.

pdxjim

Amount and type of filter oil can (theoretically) effect jetting, so best to pick yer poison and stick with it.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

SUPERTUNE

Anyone looking for more horsepower and using those 2 stage red outer foam covers (IMO made for off road bikes) will kill 2 hp! (aprox 40hp engine on 28mm carbs)
Have dyno #'s from a dyno test this past weekend on Tims RD350 at Barber Vintage Festival...lost 2 hp after we got done dyno tuning first without them, then put them on and lost 2hp and engine went richer on jetting that also caused it to loose power, so in my mind... why jet down and maybe get 1 hp back as the test proved they were restrictive!
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

m in sc

holy shit. thats crazy

gwcrim

Quote from: pdxjim on October 13, 2019, 11:22:45 PM
Amount and type of filter oil can (theoretically) effect jetting, so best to pick yer poison and stick with it.

I agree.  My thinking was to oil the filter and then finish jetting BUT....  I may forgo oil now.  We'll just have to keep on tinkering.

Plasticman

Quote from: SUPERTUNE on October 14, 2019, 09:38:54 AM
Anyone looking for more horsepower and using those 2 stage red outer foam covers (IMO made for off road bikes) will kill 2 hp! (aprox 40hp engine on 28mm carbs)
Have dyno #'s from a dyno test this past weekend on Tims RD350 at Barber Vintage Festival...lost 2 hp after we got done dyno tuning first without them, then put them on and lost 2hp and engine went richer on jetting that also caused it to loose power, so in my mind... why jet down and maybe get 1 hp back as the test proved they were restrictive!
Chuck

Wow, I've been running the red sleeves for years.  I guess it's time for them to go.

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)

pdxjim

I never run the outers coz the red messes up the synchronicity of my custom curated, bespoke, single origin, farm-to-table livery.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

gwcrim

The Outerwear came in and is installed over a dry Uni.  The pores in the Outerwear seem to be far smaller than the pores in the Uni, so it should certainly help with filtration.

If I rode the bike a lot or rode it in dusty conditions, I'd be more concerned. 

pdxjim

Been working on getting the LC dialed in.

Got my PWK's jeto specs suggested by a fella down in SF running virtually the same setup as I.

Bike ran pretty well on the stand with open intakes and dry UNI's, but when I oiled them as I do the filter on my KTM, It'll barely run.

This is with what I would consider a medium-light application of NoToil biodegradable filter oil.

Just goes to show, filter oil can have a huge impact on jetting.  Best to decide oil or no oil and stick with it.

Ima wash these suckers off and go dry.  Not much dust to be found in Oregon this time of year anyway  :dawg:

JB Weld

I knew some on here don't oil their foam filters and yet I still oiled mine. I think it had a ton of power when I first got it running, but now feel like some has been choked off by spitback combined with the oil already applied. May wring em out in the spring and see what I got.

85RZwade

I've been oiling foam filters in dirt bikes for 40 years (holy shit). I don't think I can stop oiling them.
I post waayyy too much