Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

air filters

Started by gwcrim, October 10, 2019, 10:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwcrim

Right now I'm using a Y boot with an unoiled Uni filter.  No air box.  My plan is to oil the Uni and put an Outerwear sock on it.  That way the filter oil won't get all over the bike.  I'm kinda worried that the filter oil will gum up the Outerwear.

Thoughts?  Better ideas?

m in sc

why use an outerwear sock? i never have run those. oil lightly and squeeze out excess and done.  :twocents:

~JM~

Sounds like too much oil. Gently wring out the excess.

gwcrim

It's just that the filter oil is soooooo darn messy and sticky.  I see that Toomey offers a Uni/Outerwear combo.  I suppose it will be OK as long as I don't over oil. 

quocle603

you're not going to off roading or the sand pits with your RD. You don't need the outer foam, use filter oil or 2t oil to make sure it catches all that dirt and dust.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

rodneya

All the Banshee guys use them in the sand or to keep water out of their pods on trails. They will be fine as long as your filter is not dripping oil.
Help keep your filter nice an clean as well

gwcrim

I emailed Outerwears.  This was their reply:

"Yes you can, but you are better off using a dry foam filter."

I'm going to give it a go.  I just don't want that nasty, oily filter exposed.  I'm using a 3-3/4 x 5" round filter. 

m in sc

ill be honest. I never oil the unis, the back-spit from the carbs does it enough. just the way i do it.  :twocents:

Jspooner

Quote from: m in sc on October 11, 2019, 10:33:15 AM
ill be honest. I never oil the unis, the back-spit from the carbs does it enough. just the way i do it.  :twocents:

I don't oil mine either.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

2t Fan

I used fork oil when I am short of uni oil

gwcrim

Interesting to hear that others don't oil the Uni filter.  That was the direction I was going but I figured it's good insurance on an expensive top end.

You fellows using pods on the carb or a bigger one on the Y boot?

m in sc

i use individuals on 2, and a y boot on another bike.

~JM~

Organicjedi

I don't oil my pods either.

gwcrim

Then I ain't oiling mine either.  There's an Outerwear sock already on the way to my house, I'll use it just because.