Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

the lc and the lightweight

Started by m in sc, November 07, 2019, 01:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

Thank you. I have an RD in line to become a project, and one possible scenario is fitting an Elsie swinger and shock, which looks difficult but possible. I also want spoked wheels but am wary of going too wide, as I've read a couple of people to opine that wide wheels adversely affect ( they said ruin) the handling of these bikes (now that I've fitted wider 17s to the project 1st in line, an RZ). I have a 130 on an FZ wheel on the rear of my daily rider RZ, and it has always felt fine...but a brief stint with a 120 on the front made it turn in like a '70 F250 on bias-plies. No wider than a 110, please.
How did you choose the Elsie top end on the AC bottom? Advantages vs. using an entire Elsie engine?
Thanks again for your time!
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

Quote from: 85RZwade on December 02, 2019, 09:41:06 PM
Thank you. I have an RD in line to become a project, and one possible scenario is fitting an Elsie swinger and shock, which looks difficult but possible.

actually, the LC arm bolts in (but the large slot is swapped). however, the length of the shock mount will limit your options on shocks. I designed the geometry on the rd arm to accept a common shock, in my case, cbr1000rr shock. so, its 'shorter'. Or, you would have to run an 35 year old LC shock or equivalent, at the time i couldn't find anything.. I had an lc swinger and test fit it and did the math but wasn't worth it. this is the 3rd bike i've done that setup on, and you can use a cbr600rr shock as well, but the dimensions of the shock support are a bit different. i -think- it was 7 5/8 for the 1000 shock and 8" or so for the cbr600 shock, but i would have to check my notes.  just to be aware, theres zero weigh savings going mono, but the arm is stronger and it does handle better. also, on my lightweight in particular, the bike was so light, i had to swap out the sp[ring to a 650 ninja one, was a brick with a stock cbr shock.

I also want spoked wheels but am wary of going too wide, as I've read a couple of people to opine that wide wheels adversely affect ( they said ruin) the handling of these bikes (now that I've fitted wider 17s to the project 1st in line, an RZ). I have a 130 on an FZ wheel on the rear of my daily rider RZ, and it has always felt fine...but a brief stint with a 120 on the front made it turn in like a '70 F250 on bias-plies. No wider than a 110, please.

well, that depends on the rim width again. the ONLY way i would run wider tires is to have the correct wheel. a 120 on a stock rz front rim is bad. I used to run 110 and 90 on the rz, felt great, i'm a firm believer in the right sized tire for the rim.. note the lightweight is sporting small stock wheel sizes. HOWEVER, the lc does not handle slow at all, of course it has an fzr400 rear swinger and a set of works shocks that were made for that bike. Also, there's a worked FZR/Fazer front end on it.  I mean, look at a ninja 250, they have wide wheels and handle like a rail.
How did you choose the Elsie top end on the AC bottom? Advantages vs. using an entire Elsie engine?
Thanks again for your time!

the whole reason that project even happened was back in '04 i got my hands on a set of lc jugs and began experimenting. it just got way out of hand. ac bottom end advantage? none except at the time it was what i had and was a direct bolt in. Ive done 2 of those, they work well. the other one i did used an electric pump and retained the oil injection system.  LC bottom end makes more sense as it comes with a cdi and the water pump and oil pump already, but you have to redo the motor mounts, not a big deal. But my way is if nothing else, more interesting to look at, but def NOT superior technically :twocents:

85RZwade

Wonderful, thank you for confirming my suspicions. Forging ahead!
Wade
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

My front brake is coming together; cleaned up my Brembo calipers, have rebuild parts and an Aprilia RS125 master cylinder on the way. I have two calipers, two discs and lugs on both stanchions, so I can put the disc on either side of the wheel. Most OEM single street bike discs seem to be on the right, while most dirt bikes have them on the left as Mark has done. Any reasoning behind the left or right fitment?
Wade
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

good question. TBH, cosmetic. to balance out the rear disc visually. thats it.  :dawg: