Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

the lc and the lightweight

Started by m in sc, November 07, 2019, 01:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

had these up elsewhere.  from end of October, swapping out the lightweight for the LC at work.

its nice when you can let a project bike sit for a month or 2, starts on 2nd kick and you can just ride it off, these both are like that.  :haw:

paul1478

2 REALLY nice bikes. You do great work.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

Tuck

Nice duo! Add a red stripe on that LC and you'll gain 2 HP...  ;D :metal:

m in sc

ACTUALLY.. i had soem BIG bodywork on it at one point with a tz stripe.

(legit gus kuhn tank and a Norton tail. it was HUGE) was a love/hate thing. When the tank started delaminating even after coating it, i relined it and sold it with full disclosure. Then i bought the benelli tank, its a real one, way before they got super popular.

Czakky

Not sure I've ever seen the LC, so cool! The "lightweight" is one of my favorite real world rider bikes. :drool:

If you could only keep one, which would it be?

Kawtriplefreak

Most righteous and they both haul Ass and handle great! :righteous: :righteous:

mnein

Organicjedi

Those look like VERY nice motorcycles.  :celebrate:

motodreams

Awesome looking LC!  Very nice work.  Have not seen many major mods I have liked as they usually use the original tank which looks out of place at times.  This looks great!

m in sc

thanks. they are both riders for sure, i do like them both.

The lc got complicated and fussy over the years, i do like it a lot though. I've actually detuned it a bit as it was very aggressive tune wise for a while. The lightweight was approached in the exact opposite direction being simple and light.

As far as which one i would keep if i had to choose between the 2? Probably the LC as i have had it forever in may different incarnations. and its a bit more user friendly overall.

RDFL

Quote from: m in sc on November 07, 2019, 03:43:22 PM
ACTUALLY.. i had soem BIG bodywork on it at one point with a tz stripe.

(legit gus kuhn tank and a Norton tail. it was HUGE) was a love/hate thing. When the tank started delaminating even after coating it, i relined it and sold it with full disclosure. Then i bought the benelli tank, its a real one, way before they got super popular.

Looks like a bee stung it and it swelled up.

85RZwade

Before I ask a dozen questions, are there already build threads for those amazing bikes which I can read?
Wade
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

well, there used to be before the old site crash . ask away.

85RZwade

I hate to ask a guy to tell his story again, but is the lightweight an Elsie frame and swinger with an R5 or RD engine?
Is the LC an RD frame and bottom end with Elsie top end and TZ water pump?
That's a nice wide rim on the back of the LC...what has been your experience regarding the effect that wide rim and rubber has had on handling?
I'm sure the answers to those will generate 9 more.
Thanks, Wade
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

I hate to ask a guy to tell his story again, but is the lightweight an Elsie frame and swinger with an R5 or RD engine?

No, its a 4130 foale style frame built by 27 cycles (danny). he and i worked on the layout and he fabbed it up almost 5 years ago. Its stock rd dimensionally and can use 'stock' location parts such as pipes and rearsets. he made 4 total, thats #1.  he has one, and 2 were sold.

motor is rd350, ported. RPRD webco heads. its 243 lbs wet.

Is the LC an RD frame and bottom end with Elsie top end and TZ water pump?

Yes, exactly.

That's a nice wide rim on the back of the LC...what has been your experience regarding the effect that wide rim and rubber has had on handling?

it has been good.  the front is wide as well, but the rims vs tires are correct to each other. However any weight saved by going to spoked rims (it had cast wheels) were lost with the weight of the rubber. IF i were to do it over, id go just 1 size smaller. the chain is VERY close to the tire and required offset sprockets ft and rear. But it handles really well overall.