Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Ignition for Rotary Valve Twin

Started by edgefinder, November 24, 2019, 02:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edgefinder

A Bridgestone RS200 got left in my barn years ago. I like the looks of it more each time I walk by but the one thing I don't like is the points ignition is on the end of the generator. The generator is mounted on top of the cases over gearbox and driven with an idle gear from crank. Disc valves left and right so their only option at the time. If I can fit a crank triggered ignition with curve it will justify for me the work and expense of building crank, pistons and cylinder plating. Throw in some Jemco pipes, port and head adjustments it should be a solid bike.
So looking in the HPI thread theres a picture of HPI ignition next to Yamaha. I'm thinking I could use an ignition pickup like the Yamaha and cut the bolt ears off. I can mill a pocket in the front of engine cases and mount the pickup. I'll put a trigger bump on a flywheel half. I can do the work but I need some help picking out the best combination of parts. I don't want to make the hole in the cases any bigger than necessary. Any suggestions are welcome

Hardy

Welcome to the forum, I have BS350 and a few 175s in bits. I did see powerdynamo made an electric ignition for the Bridgestones but never investergated it further.

Have you found the bridgestone forum? Not sure of the adress, just google richard relics.

edgefinder

I looked and the powerdynamo is NLA. I think it just replaced the points so we can do better. Been to Richards Relics but i'm on this site because of all the knowledge on all ignition systems. RD guys will try anything.
Every other post installing an ignition i'm seeing folks having to remount the flywheel because the initial fit wasn't rotated right. I'm only going to get 1 shot at mounting the pulse coil and milling trigger bump on crank so I need a programable ignition to get adjustment. Zeeltronic is top of my list but any comments welcome

Gil Gallad

knowing absolutely nothing about the rs200, just wondered where the magnets are on the flywheel - if indeed this is how it works? couple of photo's would help us to help you i'm sure. i'd like to help, but without a photo or 2 i'm stymied  :eek:
cheers, gil.

edgefinder

Test

edgefinder

So I opened my eyes and see the RG400 has what i'm looking for. Notch on crank and pickup in case. The pickup is way too big to fit Bridgestone. In other pic is a smaller ktm 85 pickup where I would mount it but it reads a magnet not notch. I need something similar size. The ktm part is 19mm. I could use some suggestions on what ignition system with timing curve and pickup I can make fit. The machine shop part is easy i'm just not familar with the components.

edgefinder

I've looked through pictures of pickups and the ktm 85 looks like it will fit the easiest. I can put a round magnet in the flywheel from the side and leave part exposed. Will that work for an HPI or Vape? Any particular kind of magnet?