Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Hybrid Project - RD250 AC/F2

Started by toffee, February 20, 2019, 05:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRiders

A ton of work in that swingarm for sure.....the end result should be awesome.  What else will you polish?

toffee

ton of work for sure but not fonished yet!

the engine casings, heads and barrels are vapour blasted but that unveiled a good bit of pitting, im thinking of polishing the wet and dry side casings, painting the crankcases and possibly heads and barrels with fin edges polished.....a good bit of work there as well :bang:
"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion..." - Newton's 1st law of Motion

toffee

i thought i was finished today with the swingarm but in the sunshine and after what I thought was the final polish there are still sanding marks showing, still a bit of work to do...

"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion..." - Newton's 1st law of Motion

toffee

For the last few days I have been prepping parts for painting, Satin Black is the finish, It goes better than gloss than my painting skills.

Parts painted:
Engine mount brackets
Taillight bracket
Seat Latches
Kickstart
Rear Master Cylinder
Brake pedal
Rear Caliper Carrier
Swing arm spindle [ends]
Gear Change Rod

toffee

After having to make 2 Aluminium spacers for the lower rear shock mount, parts were cleaned and greased and fitted to the frame.

I have some round Aluminium bar which I have been making spacers from with basic hand tools. First I mark the desired width with a pipe cutter and with a junior hack saw I cut a little at a time along the score mark rotating all the time to get a straight cut.

toffee

Spent about 5 hours in the garage today, Didnt feel like it though and certainly didnt get as much done as I hoped. Got the rear wheel fitted and the clearance between the brake disc bolts and carrier/swingarm is very tight, about 3 to 4mm.
Also got more done on the front end, fitted the clocks, headlight shell, Bars and controls. I made the headlight brackets myself from 4mm Aluminium plate and bought some fork brackets from ebay and sprayed the
chrome "silver". I also cut a small spacer from some tubing to hide the threads of the stainless bolts and used dome head nuts again to cover the threads.

toffee

Another task today was to repair the oil tank, the outlet nozzle was cracked where it joined the main body of the tank.
Whoever repaired it before used a kind of resin which was leaking, I removed the resin, cleaned the area with brake fluid
and "welded" some plastic into the area to seal it. I used a sliver of plastic from a coolant overflow tank, which obviously
wont be using and melted that with a soldering iron!

While welding the area I left a screwdriver stuck in the nozzle so that the area would retain its normal shape and not deform with the heat.

The job is perfect, I tested it for a water leak over a few hours and it aint leaking!

85RZwade

Lovely work on the headlight and a very resourceful fix of the tank  :clap:
I post waayyy too much

toffee

Quote from: 85RZwade on July 30, 2020, 08:52:15 AM
Lovely work on the headlight and a very resourceful fix of the tank  :clap:

Thanks wade

So over the last few days I have been finishing the rear wheel, brakes and foot rest hangers.
I made up a braided hose and bled the brake, it took a while to get some pressure in the system but got there in the end.

The brake pedal just about cleared the bottom bolt of the hanger so I had to remove about 3mm off the head and smooth and polish that to take the hacked look off it.

I also removed the pillion footrests from the hangers, I think the angles work well.

Also after cleaning the oil tank, air filter box and battery box I got them fitted too.

toffee

not much of an update really, spent a good few hours over the weekend fiddling with the electrics, figuring out colours and connections.

Im working with a fairly good wiring loom which I got from one of the members on the old forum!

I abandonned the excersize as ill be fitting a powerdynamo ignition setup and will need to mate that to the loom and locate the rectifier etc.

I will be assembling the bottom half of the engine with ignition this week, just waiting on gearbox parts.

85RZwade

This is gonna be such a cool bike, I can feel it!
I post waayyy too much

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

toffee

Thanks Lads!

Update coming soon . . . .

;D

toffee

bottom end is being built, im finding it difficult to get time in the garage to get this sorted. im missing a gear change detent plunger spring along with two oil seals for the gear selector fork shafts. So I have the cases cleaned, rebuilt crank fitted along with gearbox after a but if head scratching but it all makes sense......so far.

toffee

Got the crankcases sealed with 3 Bond 1215 and buttoned up last night. Tonight was engine in frame time, what a battle! I certainly didnt make it easy for myself with my positioning of the mounts but its in but not tightened up.