Started by NoRiders, December 01, 2019, 03:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

Glad you're back, Colin! The bike is looking good
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

Quote from: 85RZwade on February 06, 2021, 09:23:55 PM
Glad you're back, Colin! The bike is looking good

Thank you. I hadn't anything to post....but back in the saddle so to speak. Hopefully, I'll be posting up good news on a fire up and ride around the block :)

NoRiders

Suzonda update:

The fire up n ride failed, possibly due to a combination of issues, namely; weak spark (new coil arrived today), stale fuel/oil (refreshed mixture already in the can) and poor flow out of the new, OEM petcock? (further investigation required).

In the meatime, Rich's Fabrication Shop in Oxforf UK has completed a few jobs.
1) Fabricated extended exhaust mount spigots inc new h/d 2xbolt flanges and tigged new dual spring hooks.
2) Lengthened the sidestand by 40mm, done right with a spigotted insert tigged in place as well as a foot lever addition to clear the Microns.
3) Tack welded the lower engine mount tabs.

So, with all the fab work completed I just need to haul the bike hme and get it running....then the big strip down for frame blasing and painting.

Here's a few images:

dgorms

Colin, your mock up work surpasses many of the final builds I see...................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

NoRiders

Quote from: dgorms on February 11, 2021, 07:57:46 PM
Colin, your mock up work surpasses many of the final builds I see...................D

Thank you , it looks better in the pictures, but should turn out nice enough.

NoRiders

Suzonda - Tinkering with it today...figuring why it wont fire up.
Carbs off and found a green waxy gel inside the bowls so carb cleaner and a blow out has them clean. Flushed stale fuel out of the tank along with some crud.
Petcock, brand new oem Honda, is caked with more green shite, completely blocked the internal filter  left it off for the moment. 
New online fuel filter also green, new one on.
Still no go.
Starter solenoid (new) failed now!!.

I've had enough for today....2 steps forward as they say :/

m in sc

NoRiders

Acquired a freshly built (used once) sturdy bike bench off my biker neighbour....that'll do nicely :)

New coil and starter solenoid are in so hope to have them installed this week.....

SoCal250

That's a nice homemade bench :clap:  The bike is looking nice up there
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

NoRiders

NoRiders

Quote from: SoCal250 on February 20, 2021, 03:54:24 PM
That's a nice homemade bench :clap:  The bike is looking nice up there

Thanks, I was lucky to get it.

NoRiders

I need help guys. The bastard Suzonda won't fire up.....despite our best efforts.

Freshly rebuilt with new crankseal/bearing etc, all professionally installed and the engine built up by a very experienced bike tech.
Slotted in to the frame and it fired up and ran, lovely.
It then sat for 6 months....when I tried to fire it up again last month it wouldn't??
Found the old fuel had gone stale and a green residue had coated the entire fuel supply, petcock gauze, inline filter and carb internals, float bowls had a green waxy residue.
Cleaned out everything, left out the petcock gauze and fresh fuel/oil 25:1 mix (until the oil pump would bleed) but still wouldn't fire.
It's trying to fire but no amount of testing, new coil & plugs but still it won't run.
We suspect the centre crank seal as there is some blow back through the carbs....surely that's not right?
Getting good compression (no readings, but a finger test) having spun it up on the starter it's trying to fire and there is a wisp of exhaust, but no response on the throttle.
We've splashed fuel through the plug holes and syringed some through the carb intakes....nothing.
Spark is good n strong.

The generator/flywheel appears to be fitted correctly, on a keyway, there is oil in the gen case but that's normal, right?
The manual I have states ignition timing at 24* BTDC.....how is this measured or adjusted?

We suspect the brand new centre crank seal has failed as the blow back through the carbs is not normal, is it???

Is there something we're missing??

Any input appreciated, thank you.

m in sc

crank case full of old fuel? take plugs out kick over quite a bit to air out. repeat next day.

NoRiders

Happy New Year to all.

Well, after a period of pissed offedness with that bastard 2smoker (as it's become known) I am ready to throw a leg over the project build once again.

Prep included tidying my shithole of a garage so I could actually get to the bloody thing.

Prep also included acquiring a compression tester, for more accurate diagnosis than a finger over the plughole, as well as a new igniter unit.
I'm going to change the way we shut the engine down, it's been wired to cut the igniter earth rather than the live feed...wondering if that set up could cause an issue?

By replacing the igniter everything on the spark side has been replaced, so we'll see if it fires with a freshly charged battery.

The battery however isn't looking good....had it on charge yesterday with little or no movement on the charger dial...!!??

On a positive note, I have had a sanity check on the rear axle/spacer/castlenut alignment issue and, with the help of my Handy Andy neighbour, found a relatively simple solution. I'm going to shave off 1.5mm from each tophat spacer to gain 3mm on the axle shaft projection so the castl enut does up correctly and I can slip an R clip in the hole.

A couple of images to refresh your memories with updates in due course....thanks for tuning in :)

85RZwade

Glad to see you back and Happy New Year, Colin!
Sorry about the frustration, but I think you're on the verge of success. Those fantastic wheels will be rolling soon!  :thumbs:
I post waayyy too much