News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Deals Gap? (2021)

Started by rd400canuck, December 02, 2019, 07:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400canuck

Hi guys I wanted to ask about the Deals Gap 2 stroke meet up. Is there a place i can learn more about it or?

m in sc

rd400canuck

bugger... dont think my rd will be ready in may. im looking for something different to do and trucking down there with the rd would have been an adventure for me. maybe i should push to get the bike done and try to make it.

SUPERTUNE

Bring it as much of the roller you can make it to hit the road and we can all pitch in and get the engine running and tune it there!
2 years ago we all had a blast putting in a rebuilt crank and a new top end I built for Andrew and this years hammers a 200 mile day ride on it a year later...

VIDEO on the first fire up!

https://imageevent.com/supertune/rd350andrew/rd350andrew?p=1&n=1&m=-1&c=3&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2

https://imageevent.com/supertune/rd350andrew/rd350andrew?p=0&n=1&m=-1&c=3&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2

Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

SUPERTUNE

Pic's from this year...

Iron butt ride goes to Andrew on the Cafe RD350 we rebuilt at the gap in '18,  I think was 218 miles that day! :righteous:
Ian checking his work phone messages next to Andrews RD350...

Ians STG 1 Plus Ripper '78RD00E

My '76 Yellow Screamer.

Me at our favorite stop!

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

m in sc

yup. this.

from 2003. we dig deep.

btw, that was reassembled and running before midnight the same day. pete somehow broke the shift drum.

chucks definitely taken it up a notch though for the past few yrs.

2 Stroke Jamoke

That was such a fun time riding with you Chuck.  Cant wait to come back, I think I'll bring the rg/rz and a blasphemous cb550 for cruising this year!

paul1478

That was the day I met Chuck. I wanted work done on my RD and had no clue who to ask or what to do. When I saw him do that in the parking lot and if fried up on the first kick, then rode his bike... I know he was the real deal. My bike was at his shop a month later. Only took so long because I was waiting in SPEC2 for pipes. 
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

The Red Scourge

My 400 won't be close to ready, but I'm going to try to make it out this year.  I live too close to not make an effort to come.  I'll be riding a blasphemous four stroke though.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

m in sc

a lot of us bring 4 strokes as well. I was on my cb1100 quite a bit last year. years before i had my ktm390 and also my ducati.
:cheerleader:

IR8D8R

I'm a local but I still bring my bike on a trailer. I live 30 miles from the top of the hill in Tennessee. It takes a while to ride all the way up the Dragon from Hwy 411. Burns a half-tank one way.

Some people might like to ride an RD down from Canada. I personally would not...

Chuck and the gang can probably build a total basket-case in the parking lot. If you don't mind slightly inebriated people working on your bike...

We need something to do when we aren't riding. Other than drink and eat.

Trust me it's worth it for the camaraderie alone.

Plus if you need parts someone can bring them and there's a bike shop just down the other side in NC that has small items.

Best time I've had in a long while.

Andrew
IR8D8R (because I irradiate stuff for a living)

The Red Scourge

Quote from: IR8D8R on December 04, 2019, 01:03:06 PM

IR8D8R (because I irradiate stuff for a living)

Ooooohhhhh.  I thought it was "Irate Dater"!  That makes more sense.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

Evans Ward

The 2 stroke guys always book all 14 rooms annually for the entire week!
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

rd400canuck

ok... you lot have convinced me :)

I'll bring my CBR600F4i with me as well just in case I need it. They should both fit i the back of my truck no issue. I defo wont be driving a bike there! It's a 2 day drive for me from Ottawa up in canuckistan but Id rather take a week off and experience this than going to cuba again (although i find lying on a beach insanely relaxing).

Now... what are the chances of me getting one of the rooms in the bike motel where everyone stays? And if that isnt a possibility... where is the next best place to stay?

IR8D8R

See the link Mark posted earlier in the thread. This is run by the Kawasaki triple forum.

The rooms sleep 3. But 2 beds are bunk beds. As far as I understand the rooms go quick. But you can camp on the lawn for a small fee. There are electrical outlets for campers if you pitch a tent. It's a pretty setting but rain is very likely in the region.

There are several other resorts/motels around the Tail of the Dragon. If you search online for that you can find a room if you book now. Other groups use the road too so the rooms need to be reserved in advance.

Last year I slept on a mattress in the back of my enclosed trailer. It was totally posh. Apparently the new owners don't really want this but nobody said anything.

2017 I slept in my car but that sucked. I was thinking I could go home at night but it just takes too damn long to go up and down the hill.

RV's are discouraged. I think actually they are allowed but they want like $50 a day and you can't use the electricity.

Really we are renting the whole resort so they are mostly pretty chill. The staff is really nice in my opinion.

There is a restaurant at the resort with beer that is open for breakfast and until 6pm. They have ice. There are barbecues and a fire pit. I usually bring about 20 lbs of BBQ done in my smoker at home, plenty of beer, and the locally favored beverage in East Tennessee.

IR8D8R