click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

RD Monoshock ninja susp. swap

Started by RustyRD, December 15, 2019, 10:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RustyRD

RustyRD

RustyRD

Gil    So is it a GT380 in a ninja frame? That is proper. Thanks for the info on the rear shock.

RustyRD

Sorry for the duplicate post, I did not see that an additional page was created.

Gil Gallad

rusty, no mate, it's a gt350 twin. suzuki didn't build one - not a full sized one - so i built my own. 64mm liners in 250 ramair barrels, standard ts185 pistons, 4mm aluminium base plate, heads machined to my spec and gt250a 28mm carbs. 1989 ninja rolling chassis cost me peanuts, inc documents. built an engine cradle and junked that terrible kawasaki rear shock, fitting the gsx-r400 shock with remote. there's a few pics in the haus of projects section, under gpx/gt half breed  8)
cheers, gil.

Gil Gallad

how she sits atm. you'll have to look close to find the rear shock and remote, but it's all crammed in there somewhere  ;D don't know whether you can spot it on this photo, but there's a pair of 4mm baseplates fitted - the ts185 pistons were 4mm higher than the gt250 pistons. just waiting on the paintwork and recover the seat  8)
cheers, gil.

how she sits:

pdxjim

Looks fantastic!

Can't wait to see it with the bodywork fitted. :metal:
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

I'll second that, excellent work Gil. That's going to be a very cool bike very soon!
Wade
I post waayyy too much

RustyRD

Gil   CLEAN.  I really like the way that looks. That should be a fun, quick ride. What year is the donors?

Gil Gallad

thanks for the thumbs up - appreciate it  ;D
rolling chassis, complete with paperwork, wheels, frame, seat, tank, wiring etc from 1989 and cost me the princely sum of £59 - or about $77 in your money. plus a bottle of jamesons irish for the lad who fetched it for me. all in all i'm pretty pleased with it. apart from the newly rebuilt crank dropped one of the middle crank seals after about half an hour of running, most probably due to this crap petrol we get round here. it literally melted the centre of the seal  :bang: that's gone back to the crank builders for another new one - this time supplied by me, and tested in a pot of petrol for a couple of hours. this time it should last  8)
cheers, gil.

RustyRD

Gil
What triple tree setup is that in the pic? Will you be using the stock ninja tank and body panels? I hate component failure when you are expecting long life from new parts. :umm:
How different is the GSXR400 shock mounts from the ninja?

Gil Gallad

everything is gpx250 [apart from the rd headlamp and gt headlamp ears] and yes, i'm using the stock tank etc. the original one was kaput, so i got another - it cost me more than the rolling chassis  :umm: bottom mount is the same and the top mount i needed to cut some away and weld a piece in. about 10 minutes work that was all. think you'll find the gsx-r shock has 10mm holes in it and the gpx has 12mm, so you'll have to drill them out. don't worry, there's plenty of meat on the ends of the shocks. hmm, thinking back i reckon i just drilled one end and changed one of the bushes for a gpx one  8)
cheers, gil.

not a very good photo, but i took part of the ninja top bracket out and put gusset plates in. there's plenty of strength there:

RustyRD

Gil
Thanks again for the ideas. Your work looks great. A nice clean sane approach to the build. :clap:
Russ

RustyRD

Now time to finish the assembly of the engine. Chuck Supertune applied his touch to the cylinders and heads.

RustyRD

I liked the ninjette kickstand so I removed the OE and transplanted the little ninja stand. Cleared up issues with clearance with Spec2 pipes.