Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

27 Cycles RD 350 - Finally finished!!

Started by 27 Cycles, February 02, 2020, 04:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

95bravo

Looks great!  It must be a deep sense of personal satisfaction too know you built nearly every damn bit of that bike!  Well done. 
Knowledge of many things is the sword unseen

27 Cycles

Thank you everyone for your kind words!  It has been a long time and a lot of work, I can't wait for it to be finished! 

50gary

I was holding my breath on that one.  Thanks for the renewed surge, love it.
  Cheers, 50gary

2steve

What front wheel are you using Danny?
Looks lighter than a '76/'77 wheel and has the attachment capability for a 2nd disk.

27 Cycles

I believe they are standard RD 400 wheels. They came from Mark, he can correct me if I'm wrong.

m in sc

actually, xs400 wheels, 18" front with the dual disc drill pattern. (daytona style)

Hasd them on the lc for a long time, same exact wheels.

27 Cycles

I am currently building a couple sets of Pipes for Jim so progress is slow but still getting a little done here and there.  Manifolds are finished, (stainless with tube inside and out for sealing),  they and the pipes are done and mounted for good.  I also installed the turn signal lights, very small and mounted a little bit inconspicuous but I did not want them sticking out and facing front and back.  They are insanely bright so I really don't think it will be an issue. 

m in sc

85RZwade

Danny, are you a welder, or maybe machinist by trade? Your workmanship is absolutely top shelf!
I post waayyy too much

27 Cycles

Yes, thank you.  I owned my own company building race cars for over 20 years and I am now a manager for Pratt and Miller, Corvette race cars and military prototype vehicles.  I don't get my hands dirty at work much anymore so building bikes and pipes fills the void when I have time.  I met Mark (MinSC) along the way, working together about 8 years ago. 

Dvsrd

Superb craftsmanship, Danny!
I am a bit curious about your pipes. Are they of your own design, or something else?
Some years ago, there was talk of building replica Denco chambers for sale, is that still on the books?
I was stupid and impatient enough to buy a pair of Higgspeed SS chambers, but they were a big disappointment. In fact I am still using my beat up 1982/83 vintage Allspeeds instead.
And I still haven't got around to mounting the nice round tube swing arm you built for me, but hopefully will before summer arrives at 70 N.

I also have a small tip for you, and everybody else. Use flanged M8 nuts for the manifolds, either 10 mm hex or 12-point. That way there is plenty room for a socket or a ring spanner. Which a standard 13 mm hex M8 nut won't allow. Pretty sure ARP have some really nice 12 point nuts in M8, in some kind of special Hi-Temp material :)

27 Cycles

The pipes are my own design, I combined a bunch of what I wanted and what I know and just went for it.  We'll know soon how well they work!!   Currently not for sale and more than likely will never be.  I still don't build nearly enough of the Kawi pipes for Jim, so adding more to the line up probably isn't going to happen. 

As far as the manifold nuts, one of the cars I built and raced many years ago, had M8 studs holding the exhaust on.  The only nuts that ever worked were these copper lock nuts.  And I'm talking about trying some very expensive jet nuts and all kinds...  And, they have a 12mm head size so a 1/4" drive socket fits right on.

Dvsrd

Quote from: 27 Cycles on February 22, 2020, 10:13:24 PM
The pipes are my own design, I combined a bunch of what I wanted and what I know and just went for it.  We'll know soon how well they work!!   Currently not for sale and more than likely will never be.  I still don't build nearly enough of the Kawi pipes for Jim, so adding more to the line up probably isn't going to happen. 

As far as the manifold nuts, one of the cars I built and raced many years ago, had M8 studs holding the exhaust on.  The only nuts that ever worked were these copper lock nuts.  And I'm talking about trying some very expensive jet nuts and all kinds...  these copper lock nuts are all I use and will ever use and I promise you they work and never come loose.  And, they have a 12mm head size so a 1/4" drive socket fits right on.
Gotcha!
I guess I need to calibrate my eye micrometer. Thought those nuts were 13 mm hex... Yes, copper nuts are good, on my Ducatis, the OEM M8 nuts are flanged copper nuts. Hex is 12 or smaller, so tool access is ok.

27 Cycles

Sounds good!!  Post some pics when you get the arm on!! 

AAAltered

Quote from: 27 Cycles on February 22, 2020, 10:13:24 PM
As far as the manifold nuts, one of the cars I built and raced many years ago, had M8 studs holding the exhaust on.  The only nuts that ever worked were these copper lock nuts.  And I'm talking about trying some very expensive jet nuts and all kinds...  And, they have a 12mm head size so a 1/4" drive socket fits right on.

I got a tech tip years ago from a fellow forum member on exhaust manifold nuts.  VW used the correct id and threads with a thin wall, allowing you to easily put a wrench or socket to them.  I've run them for years...

Mine:

One of many sources:

https://www.mooreparts.com/empi-43-6051-vw-bug-ghia-brass-exhaust-nut-8mm-1-25mm-11mm-hex-head-set-of-8/

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special