News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

My R5

Started by Czakky, February 13, 2020, 08:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

I'm coming down the home stretch on this project. I bought it three years ago or so it was a slightly neglected, but nice R5. It surprised me with a 6-speed transmission and early RD cases, later 7(?) plate clutch, R5 ignition and RD crank. With the R5 top end on its first bore (.25mm).
I've been playing with this bike a bunch and learned a lot about two strokes in general in the last few years.
Then I bought a stage 2 RD350 Dr. Chuck top end off this forum and tucked the bike into my basement to keep me busy. Chuck (and many other) helped a bunch with getting the old girl setup and I ended up going with an RD400 trans, TM32 flat slides, HPI ignition, Spec2 Classics, XS-1 front drum laced to an R5 rim, fresh Supertune crank and a bunch of other crap I'm sure.
I can't wait for spring unfortunately it's like 0 out right now...

Jspooner

Looks like a sleeper. I like the look.  :nana:
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Oil Burner

Love the transformation! Your gonna love the new top end. It should be an absolute ripper! I can't imagine, my stage 1 supertune rips so you're should be nuts. I'm gonna have to read up on that front drum, I like it.

paul1478

Wow, first it looks GREAT and as already said, you going to LOVE that new stage 2 from Chuck!
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

suey1958

Thats a FINE looking machine ! Great Job   :clap:

m in sc

agreed, its fantastic. when barney finally needs a rebuild, this is inspiring.  :toot:

Czakky

Thanks guys, I'm definitely going for the sleeper look. As long as you don't spot the flat slides...

Evans Ward

Nice! Love a sleeper!  :whoop:
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

Kawtriplefreak

Organicjedi

Does the stock throttle work with the TM32s?

Czakky

Chuck made it happen, originally he didn't think he had enough ratio. Not sure if he had to modify the throttle but it's got a nice light pull.

Twintuned

Very nice and clean. Good combination of parts to make a fast bike.

Oil Burner

Have you done anything with your stock clutch and brake levers? The ones on my r5 are old, crusty and floppy. I wouldn't mind upgrading to something more modern but don't know what the go to is. The drum front kinda throws a wrench in it.

Czakky

@Twintuned. Thanks

@Oil Burner. You can buy cheapo levers and OEM bushings still. Obviously you can tighten up at the lever perch though.

Czakky

I got to take this thing out for a quick ride today. Holy lord! Just a couple quick break in rides and it lifts the front wheel no problem in 2nd under power alone.
The salt is rinsed off and there are a few things left to do to finish this thing up. Needless to say I can't wait! :whoop: