News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

My R5

Started by Czakky, February 13, 2020, 08:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greaser Greg

Do you plan on having a break-in period for the engine?
Every day above ground is a good one.
'71 R5B "Rusty"  '71 R5B "Decaf"   '99 KZ 250
'97 XL1200S "The Vibrator"   '08 XL1200N  "Greenie" (totalled)
'78 CB750F "The Skunk"   '74 CB550 "Blackie"    '78 Honda Hobbit

Czakky

A few high load low rpm cycles then waiting a few hundred miles before giving it high rpms.

m in sc

few hundred miles? do a bunch of short runs, recheck torque and have at it. 50 at most. you just need to seat the rings.   :burnout:

Czakky

I had a nice little shakedown run yesterday. Here's a few things to I've noticed.
I'm not sure if it's going from an R5 to RD top end or the carb change or even Chuck's setup, but the bike is way smoother than it's ever been. It's no Goldwing but it's significantly better.
There seems to be a pretty good hesitation at 6500 rpm no matter throttle position but might be worse at full throttle. I will have to check timing and I still have 50:1 in the tank mixed with a gallon of pure so there still things I need to check/rectify there.
My front brake setup is a bit unsatisfying at the moment but I still have some tweaks to get that right.

economan

Hey, where U git that Dr. stage 2 from. ?   :whistle:
I love the retro look of the front drum but yuo gonna need some mo braking power, might want to git rid of the Flinstone brakes with Doc's set up.   :umm:
LOOKS GREAT  :clap:

Czakky

Ha! Well when I weighted her she was 285lbs all full but no gas. So I feel like I eliminated some weight, plus some of us like to try to do more with less.... my wife would agree.

Czakky

I think I've got this front brake dialed in pretty close, it takes a healthy handful but it does the job.
I've been working on the jetting I'm at the top notch on the needle (leanest) and worked my way down to a 250 main. It's still a bit rich but very rideable while I wait on the 240s.
God damn these forged pistons are loud when she's cold!

This old girl just rips and is awesome fun! Seriously stupid fun!

85RZwade

Just the way we like them
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

Quote from: Czakky on April 06, 2020, 01:31:58 PM
I think I've got this front brake dialed in pretty close, it takes a healthy handful but it does the job.
I've been working on the jetting I'm at the top notch on the needle (leanest) and worked my way down to a 250 main. It's still a bit rich but very rideable while I wait on the 240s.
God damn these forged pistons are loud when she's cold!

This old girl just rips and is awesome fun! Seriously stupid fun!

What needles and needle jets are you running? I can't believe you are on the leanest needle position and it still a bit rich. That doesn't seem right.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Czakky

I was thinking I was still rich on the mains, not sure about the middle. I've got 389-p8 needle jets, not sure about the needle I'll have to look that up.

What makes you skeptic? Just curious...

Jspooner

I see you are running TM32s which I don't know anything about but a P8 needle jet is huge. Also, I typically don't like to have the needle clip all the way at the top or bottom just because it limits you on adjustability. I'm assuming chuck set them up initially so maybe that's normal.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

m in sc

i agree. p8 is crazy rich.

Czakky

What do guys with 34s run?

pdxjim

Looking good!

Need moar pics!
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Czakky

Thanks Jim!