News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

My R5

Started by Czakky, February 13, 2020, 08:04:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

After looking at the jetting poll I see what you guys mean by being rich on the needle jet! I will have to plug chop her mid throttle and send the results to Dr Supertune.
I have to say it seems to run good, then hits the powerband and takes off!

SUPERTUNE

I didn't have a baseline jetting package for this setup with the TM32's.
So have been remote tuning with Bill.
I found that 32's instead of 34's I run on the STG 2 400's is a big difference in main jets. I'm in the 290-310 range on stg 2 400's with the 34's and P8's & Q0's with 400's.

I did fine after lots of testing on 400's they always like the needle clip all the way lean on #1 or #2 only.
So going to send Bill some P6's and move the clip back to #2 and a 250 main and see where are are...getting very close. Just was afraid to go to lean in the mid for cruise with this HPI cdi right away with a fairly aggressive timing curve.
Chuck

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Czakky

I'm sure this thread influenced me a bit but I told Chuck that it did run better cold in the mid throttle range. So Chuck sent me some p6's in literally minutes, a few days later they are in and ready to rock. Man is it tight in there with these flat slides... not to mention my little shed with two other bikes... hope this is the right mixture.
Ride report tomorrow if it stays above 45.

Czakky

Alright long overdue update but in the meantime I did lose the little tension pin on the oil pump causing a seizure (sic?).

Here's where I'm at
42.5 pilot (probably still rich)
P6 needle jet (I got a set of p4s coming still not sure if I want to try them)
Needle on the leanest position
240main

It can still at times go flat in 5th and 6th around 5500-6k rpm. The mid range is awesome otherwise. Top end, past 7k... It's sooo addictive.

I also played with the timing a little on the HPI and tried to set the max advance to 24*. It ran like crap.

That's where I'm at for now.

m in sc

might help to drop the pilot to a 40 or 37.5

Czakky

Yeah I think so too.

Czakky

Another very late update. I threw in the P4 needle jets (a while back) it helped slightly and I did a plug chop in the mid range during the hesitation. Way less hairy than a main jet chop on this thing.

I'm like real close to being satisfied.
I misspoke about my pilots I guess I'm at 40s 2-1/8 turns. It idles well when warm, would probably load up after a couple minutes but, I'm fine with it. I don't sit in traffic.

The enricheners on these TMs suck. It won't warm up with them for longer than 15secs and she won't idle cold on her own. I just pretend its a highly specialized race bike with no idle circuit for the first five minutes....