This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

metal reeds bad news?

Started by rd400canuck, February 19, 2020, 11:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400canuck

Me again!

My bike has the stock metal reeds. They look fine to me but who knows about fatigue assuming they are 44 years old.

Ive read a couple times in the last decade that people like to swap them out in case they break and are ingested into the cylinder and destroy things. Has anyone actually ever seen that happen?

I'm trying to get this motor buttoned up but there is no rush as I am in the middle of winter. If it's worth waiting I will order some TDR's from Econocycle and out those in.

Opinions?

Striker1423

My opinion? If they aren't cracked and are sealing, run it. When you get into performance mods etc, Reed spacers and fiber reeds increase response etc. A stock bike, make sure they seal and are in good shape and rip it.

If a fiber reed breaks it sends little pieces inside the motor. So i think it's hard to avoid damage in either case.

sav0r

In most of the cases I've seen composite reeds will be ingested without damage. Even straight carbon reeds don't seem to be able to do much if any damage. That said, I've never seen a steel set fail, not that it can't happen, but it would certainly be disastrous. Sealing I think is concern, then after that you would be looking for a performance gain. That said, reeds are cheap, and it's a really easy project.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

rd400canuck

ok, I think I'll run the metals until after end of fiscal. I'm trying to put as much as I can into my RSP's this year. Perhaps I'll bring them with me to Deals Gap and put them in there... in case the jetting needs fiddling with I'll have you guys for advice :)

Next question... the reeds are of two different thicknesses. Do the one's with the square notch on the corner go on the bottom or top of the reed cage?

motodreams

Square is bottom.  Steel bends, it rarely breaks in a situation like this.

rodneya

More likely to suck one of the small screws through the motor than a steel reed