News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Mike’s XS left hand turn signal.... need help!

Started by 27 Cycles, February 22, 2020, 08:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

27 Cycles

I bought the Yamaha 650 left hand turn signal/headlight/horn switch from Mikes XS.  It didn't come with any kind of wiring info, no diagram, nothing saying what wire is what.  I called them, and they apologized and said they would email a diagram but it's been over a week and nothing.  Anybody have one of these and know how they are wired? Thanks for any help.

Dvsrd

Danny,
Have a look here: http://www.xs650.com/search/51517235/?q=wiring+diagram&o=relevance
Or just use an ohm meter to pin out the wiring. Opening the switch to have a peek of what wires go where may also be helpful.

- There may be a ground wire going to the switch housing, due to the XS handlebar being rubber mounted. This is required for the horn button to work as intended.
- Horn button should ground when pushed
- Indicator lights have one supply from relay (which in turn gets its supply from the ignition switch), and 2 outputs for left and right, respectively
- Hi/ Lo switch has a supply from the light switch or ignition switch, and outputs ti Hi and Lo respectively.

That should be it, I'm sure you'll figure it all out in less than half an hour!

27 Cycles

Thanks!!!  I appreciate the help. I took it apart immediately figuring I could see where most of the wires go...  believe it or not you really can't see any of them inside.  I will definitely be able to ohm them and figure it out.  Thanks again!!

Also, I agree with your assessment of the wires and what they do, except there's about twice the wires available VS. What you mentioned.  Not a huge deal, just making the whole thing harder than it should be.

Dvsrd

Danny,
I just remembered now, the XS650 had some kind of "safety feature", where a burned out high beam filament, would cause the bike to automatically switch to low beam, and vice versa.
Pretty sure that is the reason for having more than 8 wires going into these switches. Maybe you need to dig a bit into the XS forum I linked to.
(And it doesn't even have the high beam flasher button that the RD has......)