Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Suitable chromed chain guard for RD350 with 2" extended swing arm

Started by Dvsrd, February 22, 2020, 10:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dvsrd

I had Danny (27Cycles) build me a 2" extended round tube swing arm some years ago. And it is really nice, and actually lighter than the stock swing arm as well.
Now is the time to finally fit it to my mostly stock RD350A. Moving the rear fender back 2" (51 mm) is more or less a simple matter of making some SS or alloy brackets.
But the chain guard is a bit trickier though. This swing arm has the shock mounts in the same location relative to the swing arm pivot (i.e. the 2" have been added aft of the shock mounts)
So I basically need a chain guard that is 2" (51 mm) longer aft of the shock cutout.
The mounting bracket location are of minimal importance, as I will need to TIG weld some chain guard mounting points to the swing arm anyway.

AAAltered

I'll be watching.  I am in the same boat with a DG 400 swinger on a 350, yielding +2".  Joe Spooner machined my fender extensions some years back but I never solved the chain guard...

Extenders:
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

85RZwade

Could you cut the chain guard off just aft of the shock cutout and tig in a 2" section from a donor chain guard? Smooth the welds and have it re-chromed or powder coated. I'll donate a chain guard to the project, and maybe there's enough to do AAAltered's as well.
I post waayyy too much

Hardy

I was thinking the same thing, find a donor and extend the existing chain guard.

That said, is a RD400 guard longer to accomodate the extended swingarm?

Dvsrd

Quote from: 85RZwade on February 22, 2020, 11:50:09 PM
Could you cut the chain guard off just aft of the shock cutout and tig in a 2" section from a donor chain guard? Smooth the welds and have it re-chromed or powder coated. I'll donate a chain guard to the project, and maybe there's enough to do AAAltered's as well.
That's a very generous offer! But maybe impractical, as I live in Norway....
But still a good idea that I may use, will have to look for suitable donors :)

JB Weld

Can you just add a front mounting tab that extends rearward, into the wheel opening of the swingarm?

Forgive me if my suggestion won't work, I removed my chainguard years ago. If it has an area that has an impression for shock clearance then modification would be the only way.

Dvsrd

Quote from: JB Weld on February 23, 2020, 09:42:13 AM
Can you just add a front mounting tab that extends rearward, into the wheel opening of the swingarm?

Forgive me if my suggestion won't work, I removed my chainguard years ago. If it has an area that has an impression for shock clearance then modification would be the only way.
Yes, there is shock clearance issues, so the additional 2 inches have to be from shock towards sprocket.