Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Oil Pump

Started by RDFL, February 23, 2020, 12:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodneya

Seems a bit steep for a pump that's going to need a rebuild to change out the seals before running it

motosapien

Quote from: rodneya on February 23, 2020, 08:11:28 PM
Seems a bit steep for a pump that's going to need a rebuild to change out the seals before running it

Why do you want to rebuild a new pump  :umm:
Some Gammas, RZ350 and Hybrid Ape that Ed T is building since 2018

rodneya

Quote from: motosapien on February 24, 2020, 10:49:34 PM
Quote from: rodneya on February 23, 2020, 08:11:28 PM

Why do you want to rebuild a new pump  :umm:

Same reason you would change the crank seals on a bike that has been sitting for 10 or 20 years.

motosapien

you change seals on bikes as they have been used before and the seals would have seen oil, chemicals and temp cycling unlike a NOS pump sitting in the shelf
Some Gammas, RZ350 and Hybrid Ape that Ed T is building since 2018

IR8D8R

I bought a bunch of NOS rubber parts for my '63 Scout 80. Brake wheel cylinders and rebuild kits for the master cylinder, brake cylinders, and carburetor. All the rubber was hard as a rock and some was deformed from sitting on a shelf for decades. The paper gaskets were like potato chips. It was all still in sealed cellophane bags inside the original boxes. It was cheap so I didn't cry over it and it gave me samples to match and rebuildable assemblies. A friend of mine had a whole container full of NOS Italian car parts that were in similar shape.

Anything with natural rubber is likely to be in degraded condition unless it was stored in inert gas. At some point most of the natural rubber was replaced in newer manufacturing with synthetic. But when that was would figure in to viability. Date codes might tell you if you knew when Yamaha switched to synthetic rubber seals. When you get over 20 years of storage NOS does not really mean like new.

FWIW it would be a better experience to install new seals in that one than one that had been on a bike for 50 years. In my opinion...

IR8D8R

m in sc

agreed. i bought some gaskets i didn't know were nos for the hs1, when i took it out of the original sealed package, i dropped the clutch cover one and it shattered, literally,  like glass.

Alain2

Good for a museum bike showing off autolube.
1973 RD350, 1977 RD400, 1979 RD400, 1980 RD400, 1985 MJ50, Goped Zenoah 30cc.

m in sc

i suddenly feel the need to make a sectioned oil pump on my mill.  :toot:

RDryan

Quote from: m in sc on February 25, 2020, 01:58:37 PM
agreed. i bought some gaskets i didn't know were nos for the hs1, when i took it out of the original sealed package, i dropped the clutch cover one and it shattered, literally,  like glass.

:whoop: :whoop: :whoop: Upon reading this I was almost snorting my beer from laughing so hard. The irony is a have a relatively new oil pump rebuild kit sitting in a package from when I righted the wrongs of the previous owner and decided to throw almost everything at my RD. Didn't bother with the oil pump as it seemed to be working but maybe she's a ticking time bomb?