Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Aprilia RS250 Build

Started by motodreams, March 27, 2020, 04:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motodreams

This one has been on the burner for a while but I finally ordered in the Tyga bodywork.

It will not be as high end as Spooner's bike but should be lots of fun.

I find it just slightly larger than the 2MA TZR250 but still a very small motorcycle.  I was expecting somethin closer to a full size 600 so I was pleasantly surprised.

As this sits with tank and most of the bits on it (all suspension, bodywork, wheels with tires, discs etc) it weighs in at 250 lbs so should be solid finish below 280.  There are a number of items that could be better but I would rather ride than worry about those last few pounds that really make no difference on the street.

First iteration will be a stock banshee top end and likely go for straight white with a few decals.  Once kinks are worked out will probably amp up to a 421 and a different paint scheme next winter.

Just a few early Pics here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oyONmpJDKtM6oo7S-fz0Swfcx-xzdF53

85RZwade

Looking good! RZ bottom end, then? What pipes will you be running?
I post waayyy too much

motodreams

RZ, yes.  I've got aftermarket RZ pipes that have been modified to fit.  Can remember which brand.  Tuck underneath nicely.

85RZwade

Looking forward to progress and pictures...and of course,  :bacon:
I post waayyy too much

rodneya

Looks good.
Tyga makes great quality parts.

I recently bought parts for a 421 from FAST and Driveline performance and odds and ends from Ebay.
$$$ adds up pretty fast

motodreams

Absolutely does.  We custom built the cradle as I didn't want to pay for the fast bits.  Used their offset sprocket as it was needed.

rodneya

I wast meaning Farm and Sand Toys in Kansas that do a lot of Banshee stuff.
Where did you get an offset sprocket?

Kawtriplefreak

motodreams

FAST from the past makes mostly bolt on custom stuff for the RZ motor in RS chassis.  It is very pricy but nice stuff.  Think the kit is close to 2k w/o pipes.

oxford

What is the major benefits of the RZ engine over the RS?  Aftermarket banshee support?

pdxjim

Quote from: oxford on April 02, 2020, 08:14:06 AM
What is the major benefits of the RZ engine over the RS?  Aftermarket banshee support?

No replacement for displacement.

RGV motor tops out around 70hp max and that's with a ton of money thrown at it.

RZ/Banshee, sky's the limit.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

motodreams

I also didn't have a RS/RGV motor.  Pretty common to move any of the 250's to a 350 Yamaha twin thanks to the banshee aftermarket support.

busa1300

100HP claimed by Motori Seven with a 350 kit that goes into the RS250 cases.
Lighter weight, and way easier....Just as expensive though.

https://www.motoriseven.it/prodotto/kit-cilindri-albero-motore-350cc-per-suzuki-e-aprilia/
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

motodreams

again, no RS250 engine.  There are lots of item that 'could' be lighter and better on this build but like I said, i'm a rider not a bench racer so I don't really care.  Used some of what I had available plus I know my way around the yamaha twin.  100hp from this engine will likely be almost as expensive a proposition but this is iteration #1.  Still lots to figure out.

I would much rather head down to the USA for banshee parts than have to buy out of Italy when things blow up.

85RZwade

Here's hoping nothing blows up!
I post waayyy too much