Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RZ vs LC

Started by Czakky, April 04, 2020, 06:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

I'm not in market or anything (unfortunately) but if a guy was going to go for a gnarly wild street machine what would be a better starting point. RZ or LC?

Money is no object.

pdxjim

RZ for sure.

Power potential with the RZ/Banshee cases is unlimited.  Aftermarket cyls and stroker cranks up to (I think 600+cc) and 100+ reliable hp.  LC cases are a dead end. Athena does make a 392cc big bore kit that can (I think) be bumped up to 421cc with a stroker crank, but that's it.

RZ chassis is better suited to suspension upgrades, as it runs a modern style vertical linkage shock setup and is better braced and way stiffer than LC.

I think for me, the ultimate would be an LC chassis/RZ big bore engine/modern suspension hybrid, but on a whole, the RZ is just a better developed machine with way more tuning potential.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

Well! I have only ridden an LC a short distance and it was running shitty, but I have literally thousands of miles on an RZ, so bear that in mind going forward. I would think the RZ has MARGINALLY better suspension and brakes, chassis geometry is a toss-up, but the non-powervalved LC must be a potentially gnarlier ride. Classic two-stroke powerband and all. As for potential for modification, the RZ of course benefits from the vast banshee aftermarket and can be built into a monster capable of overwhelming it's chassis and brakes. So pick your variety of gnarly!
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

I agree Wade. 

A basic tuned LC has the potential to be way gnarlier feeling (and harder to ride) than a tuned RZ, as the RZ powervalves make the power delivery much more linear, and smooth out the powerband hit.

Same reason a lot of the non-PV big bore Banshee kits aren't really that great an option for a road bike.  A big powerband hit can be fun, but it doesn't really get you down the road or especially around corners very well. 
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

thatguy

Well over 70K miles on a tuned RZ. My only transport for a couple years (two-up a lot) and never left me stranded nor without a shit eating grin. RZ by all means.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Czakky

@thatguy, that's awesome!

It sounds like guys keep the PV on street builds. It must work pretty well. I guess I always wondered about that. I also never knew there were so many chassis changes between the two.
  Thanks Jim and Wade. Super cool to learn about these bikes.

Dvsrd

Quote from: Czakky on April 04, 2020, 08:30:43 PM
@thatguy, that's awesome!

It sounds like guys keep the PV on street builds. It must work pretty well. I guess I always wondered about that. I also never knew there were so many chassis changes between the two.
  Thanks Jim and Wade. Super cool to learn about these bikes.
The LC frame is pretty much a traditional cradle with a monoshock rear suspension, not that much different than AC RD frames. The RZ/ RD YPVS is more like a "low Boy" TZ frame, totally different from any previous Yamaha road bike chassis.
Also, the LC has thinner fork tubes than even AC RDs. 32 or 33 mm. While the RZ/ RD YPVS has 35 mm. And so on.
I have to admit, though, that I really like the tank/ side cover/ seat design of the LC, which it shares with the Seca 650, and to a degree with the Seca 550.

pdxjim

LC was only made for three years '80-'82
RZ line started in '83 and was imported to the US '83-'85.  The RZ line lived on until 1995, with the latter bikes made in Brazil.
Banshee is basically a simplified version of the RZ without YPVS powervalves.  Finally phased out in 2012

Yamaha also created a divergent path in 1986 with the TZR series which was a further evolution of the DS7/R5/RD/RZ two stroke twin
1KT was a case reed parallel twin engine.  The engine is found in TZR 1KT/2MA/2XT models and TDR250 and R1Z models thru 1990.
3MA was the reverse cylinder parallel twin (carbs in front, exhaust in back) 1990 TZR only.
3XV was the V-twin configuration found in the TZR from 1991-1996

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_RD350LC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_RZ350
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Banshee_350
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_TZR250

85RZwade

Holy buckets, Dvsrd, I never made the Seca connection with the LC! How did I not see it before??
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

Quote from: 85RZwade on April 04, 2020, 09:29:51 PM
Holy buckets, Dvsrd, I never made the Seca connection with the LC! How did I not see it before??

Wheels and graphics are basically the same.

85RZwade

I'd use the "getting old" excuse, but it's been there for, um, let's call it a long time.
I post waayyy too much

1976RD400C

'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

SUPERTUNE

RZ all the way.
Get a Zeeltronic's cdi box for the win!
Buy the PCDI-10VT model and control ignition Timing and Power Valve control a must have!
Tuning a 5mm RZ stroker 392cc now in the shop, so fast it needs good brakes now!  :eek:
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

motodreams

As stated above, the RZ was a major improvement over the LC with the next generation of Perimeter frame.  Aftermarket parts are endless with the banshee crowd.  Barrel spacing on the LC is different. 

Yamaha was evolving their tech through that period.  RD400 at the end then RDLC then RZ and on to the 250's.  Giant leaps throughout the 80's. 

Being said, if money was no object best to move up to something with an aluminum frame such as TZR if you wanted to stay Yamaha.  The 1KT TZR is a massive improvement and feels so much more modern than the RZ.  Far lighter and equally fast as a RZ.

Yamaha 179

When I last was racing in New England with USCRA a couple of the well developed RZs had handling problems; lots of power but problems getting it to the ground at NHIS (a short, tight track).  I don't know how those same riders did elsewhere but the guys on
TZs didn't have the same problems.  We all thought that the chassis/suspension systems were just overpowered by the engines and the slicks.  Have you thought of a hybrid such as an Aprillia/RZ?  Mark Morrow does well on one...
Lyn Garland