Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Best option for shipping an engine?

Started by jradnich, April 04, 2020, 09:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jradnich

I want to list a couple of engines (1 RD and 1 DT) on Ebay. Just wondering about shipping. I have USPS, UPS and Fed Ex available in my area and USPS is probably out for something like this. So UPS or Fed EX. What experience do you guys have. And what do you do for packaging? Heavy box? Strap it on a pallet?
Thanks, John.

85RZwade

I would think an entire engine is heavier than UPS wants to deal with, but probably would. A small pallet and truck freight are my guess.
I post waayyy too much

thatguy

I had an Aprilia Rotax engine shipped to me from Oregon to West Virginia via Fastenal. Not the fastest way by any stretch of the imagination but cheap. Think it took a few weeks. They ship from one store to another via internal trucking. You just need patience and to pick it up from the store. It was crated as pictured. Cost me like $150 if memory serves me.

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

SUPERTUNE

RD engines complete with 115 LBs are $125 with FedEx in a Rubbermaid tuff tote...on the average.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

bitzz

Rubbermaid tote, lined with "doorskin" (thin plywood used to make doors, available at lumber yards.)

sav0r

I've always liked shipping endings in coolers. With some two part foam and some trash bags the engine can be cast into the cooler. Makes for a very secure and reusable shipping method, though maybe overkill for shipping a motor one way.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

NoRiders

Take care to pack them well, enclosed in a timber mini pallet/crate so it sits tight and nothing of the engine is exposed to outside contact and potential damage. I know it appears common sense and shouldn't need saying but....

Once you've packed it, take and send an image to show how it sits and is damage free....some recourse if/when it arrives at the other end....a claim might rest on it's pre shipping condition.

I bought a 200cc Suzuki two-stroke engine shipped to me from overseas just wedged in a plastic open topped crate with duct tape to hold it in. Needless to say two head fins were knocked off it......if this happens in transit your buyer would rightly have something to say and it'll probably end up costing you money and hassle.