News:

Deals Gap Shenanigans

Deals Gap 2-stroke meet 2024 : May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Moto Carrera pipes and RD Center Stand tabs...

Started by AAAltered, April 05, 2020, 09:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAAltered

I realized today that I had cut the center stand tabs off my R5 frame long ago.  I've had DG's, Spec II, and Moto Carreras on the bike in the past, and can't recall which pipes I cut them off for.

So my new frame still has the center stand tabs.  It would be easier to cut the off NOW before I build up the bike, but only if I need to.

Can anyone say if the tabs must be bent or cut for Milleniums?

Old frame:

New frame:
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

SUPERTUNE

Most Spec 2's I cut them off.
No more info though...sorry.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

klaird

Yes you need to bend or cut them for Moto Carrera pipes.  I bent them on mine, a 15" crescent wrench makes quick work of it.  I didn't want to eliminate the ability to go back since I have a set of torque pipes that let you keep the center stand.

King2

The milleniums on my Daytona frame just clear the center stand tabs by about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. The pipe sits just outboard  the tab centerline.

AAAltered

I was looking at this again yesterday.  On my bare RD 350 frame its impossible to tell if there will be interference.  I also examined many old photos of my bike to see if I could tell.  I think I'm just going to wait until the bike is assembled before I bend or cut.  That's a few weeks out...
1971 R5
1976 RD200

Frank B

I had removed them to get a set of FPPs mounted, so when I switched to the millennium pipes they fit fine. I'm guessing that I would have had to remove them for the millenniums.
1976 RD400

m in sc

Quote from: klaird on April 06, 2020, 10:33:37 PM
Yes you need to bend or cut them for Moto Carrera pipes.  I bent them on mine, a 15" crescent wrench makes quick work of it.  I didn't want to eliminate the ability to go back since I have a set of torque pipes that let you keep the center stand.

ive done this a few times myself in the past. Now, i just commit and slice em off.

pdxjim

We cut the tabs off of the Kart Track Racer frame to fit the Millennium pipes.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

GRA2STROKES

All pipes made by me are mounted on frames with no tabs. There is more room on a 350 so pickle you could get away with not removing them on a 350 or 250 as the exhaust port sits much lower than compared to a 400.

Garrett

AAAltered

1971 R5
1976 RD200