Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Rz350 charging issue

Started by 2 Stroke Jamoke, April 08, 2020, 07:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2 Stroke Jamoke

Hey everyone, hope all are well in these crazy times. Anyway I have a weird issue with my charging system on my rz350, I'm getting fluctuating readings at the battery with the bike running. It jumps all around, 3v 14v 6v 8v 14v, just constantly changing voltage. I have a new battery, I checked the stator and I'm getting g like 17vac between the 3 white wires with it running. I've tried 2 reg/rec with the same result. The headlight gets brighter with revs and everything else is working properly. I just want to see a steady voltage at the battery. Anyone know what's wrong? I'm getting .7 ohm between the 3 white wires at the stator.  Manuel calls for .4 with 20% +/- so I'm technically not right but the output with it running is correct. Wiring gurus please chime!

Striker1423

2 new reg/rectifiers? What RPM?

Bad ground can cause funky stuff to happen..

m in sc

try a different VOM, preferably an analog one 1st.  :twocents:

2 Stroke Jamoke

The rec/regs are not new they are old stockers. You know Mark that is exactly what Chuck told me! Haha I'll have to see if I can locate an old sweep style meter. When it does bounce around I do see 13-14vdc at some points so maybe it is the digital meter, it reads fine on my fzr though

AAAltered

Oddly, I had a DVM that would only bounce around measuring my R5 system.  A different meter solved the problem.
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

2 Stroke Jamoke

I think it is the voltmeter,  I added a ground between the battery, frame, and engine. The reading is still bouncing around but I see 14v much more and I was able to find the sweet spot with the voltmeter leads and I got a steady reading, so in gonna call it fixed.  I ordered an analog meter for 10bucks so that will be the final say. Thanks all!

2 Stroke Jamoke

The sweep meter gave me the reading I wanted! 13v with the light on at idle but it jumps up to 14v at 3-4k so I'm stoked and I'm going to rip it up the road as a reward!  :metal:

m in sc

Dvsrd

I had a similar experience after fitting a Powerdynamo to my RD350 some years ago. My cheap digital multimeter showed 19 VDC, while my electrician buddy's true rms Fluke showed just over 14 VDC.