News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

New Arrival

Started by 85RZwade, April 09, 2020, 01:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

So I tightened my belt and decided to do things on my project bikes that cost $0...and she bought a bike. A freakin' four-stroke, at that! A friend had this '04 Honda CRF250X and needed a few bucks, we have three full-size boys and only two full-size bikes, so I came home to another carburetor to clean. Stinky, green used-to-be-fuel  :brownseat:. And 'kin 'ell, what a carburetor to get out!

Flip the subframe up, three cables, a fuel line, a TPS cable and 106 vent hoses later and it's finally out. Taking it with me to work tomorrow (the carb) for a date with the ultrasonic cleaner.
I post waayyy too much

thatguy

A JD Jetting kit will make it perfect. :D
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

NoRiders

..and the hot rod in the corner is? :)

85RZwade

A Willys Knight, I'm told. Belonged to my wife's grandfather and promised to her cousin. Grandpa's been gone 21 years now, and the cousin has yet to come and collect it. I'd like the floor space to work on bikes, personally
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

id wrangle the car fromt he cousin, , modernize it and make it a bike hauler.

cool on the crf.
:clap:

NoRiders

Shame....with the crap piled high it's more like a Willys knight-stand  ;)

85RZwade

Aye, crap be everywhere!

This is the ugliest carburetor...

I've ever been able

to get this clean. Ultrasonic tanks are amazing.
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

Clean enough....a mate gave me a tip....rubber seals can be rejuvenated and resprung by soaking in automatic trans fluid for a while, I've yet to try it but he swears by it.....anyone else done it?

85RZwade

I will try it; Honda doesn't sell the round rubber piece inside the petcock, and it's looking pretty mangy. Maybe I can avoid buying a complete petcock, although I need to check K&L for availability.
I post waayyy too much

85RZwade

An update: fuel system cleaned but the tank still stinks of stale gas! On advice of my over-qualified buddy pilot jet bumped from 30 to 45 and fuel screw started at 3 turns out. He adjusted the idle and fuel screw alternately until he was happy with it. Valves in spec, oils changed, new air filter and chain, cables lubed and adjusted, suspension linkage repaired and serviced, rear spokes serviced and wheel trued. Broken 6mm bolt drilled out and extracted from frame, functional battery installed, fresh gas and it's a runner! Throttle response is, I have to admit, damn near as good as the KTM with it's PWK air striker.
So tonight it's fork seals. These are 47mm USD forks, and a good deal more sophisticated and complex than I've tackled before. I bought a cap wrench and fork seal driver, bushings, seals, dust wipers and oil and pored over the FSM for awhile before diving in. Quite a process getting them apart, but it went OK and the seals are in and the lower legs assembled to the uppers again:

This Motion Pro seal driver is the shit!

It's well made and cleverly designed. These seals (SKF, what's with the green?) went in easier than any I've done in the past

They're not cheap, and of course you need one for every size tube you've got, but you'll never go back to the PVC pipe stunt.

Next comes a seemingly complex process of filling, bleeding, assembling, more filling, more assembly and finally reinstallation. I think that's going to happen tomorrow night!
I post waayyy too much

thatguy

yeah the Motion Pro seal drivers are the chit.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

85RZwade

Finally ready to ride! Trued the rear wheel this afternoon and we took some shakedown laps this evening. For a diesel, it rips! Lacks low end compared to my KTM, but likes to eat from midrange on up. Scared the youngest boy a little, which is my fault for letting him ride a quad for so long.

Forks were harsh at 16 clicks of compression; I liked 12 so much better that I set them at 10. Dunlops are rounded and both ends slipped around a little on the grass track (pasture), so some new rubber is on the agenda sometime soon.
But first, the boys and I are taking it to the Gifford Pinchot nat'l forest/Saturday for some easy trails. Buddy Ron, with whom I rode last weekend, is coming along and may bring his brother. I'll try to get more pictures this time!
I post waayyy too much