Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD350 piston, which brand for rebuild?

Started by Ws76133, April 09, 2020, 07:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ws76133

Economy Cycle is close, and my preferred supplier.  I'm rebuilding my '74 RD350, it'll be mostly stock but with YZ125 reeds, mild porting, the Economy Y-boot filter kit, and crossover manifold without boost bottle.  I'm undecided on chambers. 

Likely will need barrels bored, so, do I want ProX, Vertex or Wiseco pistons for this build, and why?

pdxjim

General consensus seems to be cast for streetbikes, forged for racebikes.

Which of each is up to your budget.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

SUPERTUNE

I offer update and STG 1 porting on the Pro-X pistons.
Just use Pro-X pistons if your not a nut on the throttle wide open every time on the bike.
STG 1 would be a option to run Wiseco if so...(run the 513 Banshee pistons with the bigger intake window)
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

GRA2STROKES

I've ran pro x in every engine I've built over the past few years. Probably around65-70. For almost all street riding it should be just fine to run them.

I ported pdx Jim's Matt track racer rd350 and they had an old version of my pipes and they were very pleased with it. It was ran in a 6 hour endurance race and motor is still tight. You can ask him for first hand info as well.

Garrett

pdxjim

Quote from: GRA2STROKES on April 12, 2020, 11:55:37 AM
I've ran pro x in every engine I've built over the past few years. Probably around65-70. For almost all street riding it should be just fine to run them.

I ported pdx Jim's Matt track racer rd350 and they had an old version of my pipes and they were very pleased with it. It was ran in a 6 hour endurance race and motor is still tight. You can ask him for first hand info as well.

Garrett

It's true.

We ran the Kart Track Racer WFO for six hours straight with almost zero break in time.  No issues with the ProX pistons (or anything else engine related, either).

To qualify my earlier statement, I have only ever run cast pistons.  ProX in my old RD350B, Mitaka (allegedly made by ProX) in my TDR, and CruizinImage in my KH400.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A