Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

when you chase an electrical problem for 4 days

Started by m in sc, April 09, 2020, 09:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

and the RH cyl just randomly stops firing after a long load run.

and the issue turns out to be an alternator wire (after you re pin all the ignition connections and swap coils, etc).
:bang:

oddly, the charging system was still putting out ok. but would arc high voltage ac right under the ign plate. DOH.

Czakky

That's not your fault, at least. I always take solace when I don't screw up :haw:

SUPERTUNE

That will do it...had the same problem on Guillermos RD400 with the powerdydynomo/Vape on the charge wire!
That's the T500 suzi?
C
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Striker1423

Quote from: m in sc on April 09, 2020, 09:40:16 PM
and the RH cyl just randomly stops firing after a long load run.

and the issue turns out to be an alternator wire (after you re pin all the ignition connections and swap coils, etc).
:bang:

oddly, the charging system was still putting out ok. but would arc high voltage ac right under the ign plate. DOH.

What bike's that on Mark? Glad you found the trouble, though I'm sorry it happened.

thatguy

However finding it is a relief. Persistence (and patience) pays off when chasing electrical gremlins. Nice find Mark.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

m in sc

thanks. trust me, I'm very happy I found it.  1st it felt like it was a fuel feed issue, then I thought charging but was putting out in spec.
yeah, it's the t500. to complicate things more, the offending cyl was the same one the crank seal had failed on last year.  talk about messing with your head  :dawg:

IR8D8R

Oh I understand. Really. I once spent a week knee deep in monkey shit repairing an electromechanical cage washing machine. Dozens of relays and a stepper rack controlling what one chip can do now. One fuc*ing wire... That's all it takes.

Now wires give me hives. I had to replace the power supply in my TV and the smell of burnt transistor took me places I never want to go again. If the stock electronics in my RD weren't completely ruined when I got it I wouldn't have installed any MZB/Powerdynamo... It's always what I suspect is wrong when it doesn't run right. Induced paranoia... It's usually something stupid that you dismiss that causes you grief. Every. Single. Time.

IR8D8R

m in sc

well, turns out that wasn't it. I mean, it needed to be fixed, but wasn't the cause. (fixed that as well though)

there was  an intermittent break in the main harness to the RH coil. Under higher rpm, it would break down and lose spark, watched it do it running on just the LH cy with the RH cyl plug laying on the head (after it was fully warmed up). replaced the 2 wires all the way from the alternator up to the coils, and the power lead to the coils.  test rode the shit out of it and all is well.  :celebrate:

this is exactly why i usually just rewire everything.  :bang: