News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

new seat for R5

Started by m in sc, April 25, 2020, 07:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

my 70 r5's original seat was wiped out when i got it, but i saved it to eventually get recovered. had an original rd seat on it but the foam was wiped out and it was just getting worse, so i had a local guy redo the original seat. new foam, hand cut, new cover, hand done. even stenciled on the yamaha logo on the back.  Very happy with result!

I really didn't like anything out there offered aftermarket, so i went this way.

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

thanks timmy. he also finally got the sun-visors for the falcon straightened out. after like 7 years... (if you remember that story)  :taz:

suey1958

Looks like really fine quality workmanship on the seat,....Looks Great!  :clap:

Czakky

Nice! I'm jealous. Custom seat cover?

m in sc

all had done from scratch, as was the foam. so, yes.  patterned after the remaining stocker that was left on it.

sav0r

Did you manage to salvage the hardware for the aluminum trim strip or find it new somewhere? That stuff is in rough shape on my wife's RD, I'd like to put the trim back, so I might have to find replacement hardware.

You made the right move on the custom cover. The repo I got from Taiwan is okay, quality is good, fit isn't amazing.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

here's what i did to  put the trim back on:

got some 1/2" long 8/32 screws.  ground heads down so they are flat. took stock square washers out of rail. knocked out the stock m3? screws, or what was left. drilled hole in washer to 4.5mm, then put the screws into the square washers, slid down the channel int he rails and done. they fit thru the stock seat pan holes easily. sipped down with drill and socket bit and done. (used washer of course)

you could use m4 countersink screws as well.  :twocents:

sav0r

Thanks! That sounds reasonable to do. 

Evans Ward

Great looking seat Mark! Looks even better than factory yet still maintaining a stock appearance!
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

AAAltered

Wow Mark, that came out beautiful.
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

85RZwade

Awesome, that seat looks better than new  :bacon:
I post waayyy too much

Dvsrd

Quote from: sav0r on April 26, 2020, 08:33:44 AM
Did you manage to salvage the hardware for the aluminum trim strip or find it new somewhere? That stuff is in rough shape on my wife's RD, I'd like to put the trim back, so I might have to find replacement hardware.

You madee the right move on the custom cover. The repo I got from Taiwan is okay, quality is good, fit isn't amazing.
I believe Yambits in the UK may have the trim hardware.  I wish they had nice reproduction trim as well........

m in sc

yeah he did a fantastic job on it, for sure. rode it out to go see dad took the scenic route as well, about 75 miles. very comfy too.

Ive been doing that method with the hardware for the trim for about 20 years. may not be 100% concours correct but it def works. 

sav0r

It looks like button head M6 will work. I messed around with it for about 30 seconds yesterday. I like the idea of using bolts because the hooks aren't in great shape on the one side of the pan, so snugging some bolts up with washers will help secure the seat cover. I also plan to use some spray glue down that edge. Fingers crossed it will turn out half as nice as Mark's seat.