News:

Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Opinions needed. Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 or KTM or...

Started by IR8D8R, May 20, 2020, 03:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IR8D8R

I've been looking to buy a new naked bike or supersport. I think naked or cafe styling suits my age and ability better than a full-fairing sportbike.   

I want a no-hassle pushbutton bike I can ride everyday and my RD350 just isn't great on the highway with pickups going 80+.

I prefer vintage machinery but I'm trying to run a company and I just don't have much time for wrenching and restoring.

I really like the looks of the Husky Vitpilen 701. I just don't know if I want a single-cylinder.

The KTM Duke 790 is nice also. Both of them are on my short list along with the Yamaha MT 09 or MT 10.

Seriously considering a Kawi Z900RS Cafe. That is #1 at the moment.

If price were no object I really like the MV Agusta Brutale. The Superveloce is beautiful in black. But I can't justify $20k+.

What are you guys looking at and drooling over? Let's set a price limit of $13k. 500cc and up.

IR8D8R

m in sc

if your price range is 13k, the z900 is a solid option. look at the xsr900 or fz09. the xsr is the same bike but IMHO, better looking.  MT09 is a great option as well.

all that being said, i went into buy a z900 and came out with my holdover new '14 CB1100. I have loved it every minute. except the speed limiter to 180 kph, but ecu can be re-flashed for under 400 to eliminate that.

motodreams

Triumph street triple didn't make the list?  The triple engine is outstanding and makes the 4's feel like sewing machines.  Riding a R6 and a Daytona back to back the triple was clear winner.  Imagine would be same in the naked form.

m in sc

i -almost - put in speed triple or street triple, they are fantastic. id put their quality at least as good as ANY japanese maker, better than some. those triple motors are -outstanding-

Evans Ward

The new Suzuki Katana would be on my short list but it is pricey and doesn't have a lot of fuel capacity. Looks great though except for that monstrosity hanging over back of rear wheel but that could be fixed. My vote would be a lightly used 2018 Kaw Z900RS in the tangerine/ root beer colors.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

thatguy

A used Aprilia Tuono V4 would fit the description if yer heart is up to it.

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

pdxjim

I would go 790 DukeR or Street Triple R.

Can't stand the looks of the Husky.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

The KTM Super Dukes are the ugliest motorcycles I would love to own. Every article I have read and every owner I've talked to said never-ending fun. Laugh out loud in the helmet has been mentioned more than once! I think it blows past your price limit, though. I guess I'll vote for the 790' then; the Husky is technically cool, but the styling doesn't resonate with me (I know, I just called the KTM ugly. I'm fickle.)
I post waayyy too much

thatguy

The drawback to KTM power.................KTM parts prices. And with a KTM I would stick with OEM for any real hard parts.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

m in sc

^ have to agree. ducati parts are actually on par or cheaper. KTM is super proud of their shit.

Czakky

I agree about the look of KTM though they seem like right riot.

85RZwade

There's a simple solution to KTM parts prices that I've had success with in the past: get a job at a KTM shop!
I post waayyy too much

pdxjim

It's a brand new bike, unless you crash it, or want to upgrade, you're not gonna need any parts.

That's the beauty of new bikes.

Keep the gas tank full and change the oil every once in awhile. 

Press the button and ride the s#!t out of it.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

IR8D8R

I actually like the looks of the Husqvarna Vitpilen 701. The Svitpilen not so much. If they weren't 1 bangers. It is the old KTM 690 Duke engine from a couple years ago. The most seat time I've had lately is on my Husky V-twin ...Briggs & Stratton powered yard terror. Never had a second of trouble in 5 years on that. Except for rolling it in a ditch.

I would have to overcome years of anti-British bias to buy a Triumph. Although I accept that it has no real relationship to the old Trumpets. Some people even like them. Working on English cars used to give me hives. I never really got over jetting carbs with a hammer.

Like Jim said I shouldn't have to worry about parts too soon. So I'm not.

1. Kawasaki Z900RS -Cafe or not Cafe?
2. Yamaha XSR900 -Thanks Mark. I really do think I like it better than the MT/FZ...
3. KTM 790 Duke R -I have a soft spot for twins.
4. Triumph Street Triple -I thought that a motor running like a sewing machine was a good thing?
5. Some Italian bike I don't want to pay for. What the hell my kids are grown and I'm not married anymore...

IR8D8R

85RZwade

If your kids are grown and you're not married, then then that's a shopping list! Buy 'em all, in any order.
I post waayyy too much