News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Opinions needed. Husqvarna Vitpilen 701 or KTM or...

Started by IR8D8R, May 20, 2020, 03:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busa1300

I have a KTM and love it, but it is a 1290SDGT
I think if I were to buy a new bike for fun, it would be the Indian FTR.
I have rode these and they are incredibly fun...wheelie/stoppies all day long if you wanted.
All the power you need almost everywhere....Cool looking....and in case it helps, made in the USA
RZ350-RZV500R-TZR250RSP 3XV2
RGV250 VJ21 SP/VJ22 SP/VJ23 SP
RS250 for track - KD80 - JR50 for kids
https://youtube.com/@wedgehorsepower9869?feature=shared

pdxjim

Quote from: busa1300 on May 27, 2020, 07:30:27 PM
I have a KTM and love it, but it is a 1290SDGT
I think if I were to buy a new bike for fun, it would be the Indian FTR.
I have rode these and they are incredibly fun...wheelie/stoppies all day long if you wanted.
All the power you need almost everywhere....Cool looking....and in case it helps, made in the USA

I'm not sure the Indian FTR is the bike for me, but a good buddy of mine has one and he LOVES it.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

murphywv

1974 RD350 not stock
KTM 300 XC-W
Beta 500R-SS
And a big ol' chopper

Snaggletooth77x

Quote from: IR8D8R on May 25, 2020, 09:53:53 AM
I actually like the looks of the Husqvarna Vitpilen 701. The Svitpilen not so much. If they weren't 1 bangers. It is the old KTM 690 Duke engine from a couple years ago. The most seat time I've had lately is on my Husky V-twin ...Briggs & Stratton powered yard terror. Never had a second of trouble in 5 years on that. Except for rolling it in a ditch.

I would have to overcome years of anti-British bias to buy a Triumph. Although I accept that it has no real relationship to the old Trumpets. Some people even like them. Working on English cars used to give me hives. I never really got over jetting carbs with a hammer.

Like Jim said I shouldn't have to worry about parts too soon. So I'm not.

1. Kawasaki Z900RS -Cafe or not Cafe?
2. Yamaha XSR900 -Thanks Mark. I really do think I like it better than the MT/FZ...
3. KTM 790 Duke R -I have a soft spot for twins.
4. Triumph Street Triple -I thought that a motor running like a sewing machine was a good thing?
5. Some Italian bike I don't want to pay for. What the hell my kids are grown and I'm not married anymore...

IR8D8R

I currently have the 790 and I highly recommend that or the 890R. I've had the Triumph Street Triple, 1290 Super Duke but I prefer the 790 out of the bunch.

IR8D8R

Thanks for everyone's input. I ended up with the Yamaha XSR 900. Thanks to Mark for guiding me to it because I had not included it on my original list.

I couldn't get the Kawasaki dealer to work with me. The price difference was about $2500 over the XSR. I found a 2019 z900 in West VA for a fair price but decided not to drive up there. I got out the door for a little over $10k including gap insurance, tax, and extended warranty.

Only have 150 miles on the bike so far. It keeps raining here. That will at least double this weekend. I have a few tiny early gripes but no serious issues. My main objection is that the electronic throttle has a lot of free play between closed throttle and pickup. I suppose I may get used to this but it has made gear shifts a little less than smooth at first. I am hoping there is an adjustable throttle stop to take up the slack. I will make this Yamaha's problem at first service.

Trying to avoid spending money on upgrades for a while. I like the cafe seat cowl Yamaha makes but it's $440 ($470 if I'd included it in the purchase). Everyone seems to want to change the exhaust but I don't know if the advantages are worth $1000 just yet and I have no moral objections to catalytic convertors. I am fond of the cafe racer look but upright riding is way more comfortable.

Bike has more power than I need at the moment. I'm sure that will change as time goes on. I wish it was a 500cc 2 stroke. Probably never get over that. There is a native level of high RPM violence/excitement inherent in 2 strokes that is just missing with 4T engines.

I'm not used to the immediate torque this has. The traction control works for sure or it would wheelie instantly and spin the back wheel often. The Yamaha mechanic said these go through rear tires fast. There may be something else good waiting high up on the tach but I haven't redlined it.

I appreciate all the advice.

IR8D8R

m in sc

cool. you'll get used to the throttle, trust me. and the rear cowl in real life, to me, looks like ass. I've seen 2, they suck. in pics, good.

glad you got it, its a blast.   :metal: :metal: :metal:

retaRD

Quote from: IR8D8R on August 07, 2020, 04:09:51 PM

Only have 150 miles on the bike so far. It keeps raining here. That will at least double this weekend.

Holla

IR8D8R

I was wondering why the only seat cowl photos I could find were 3/4 view. It would diminish the out of place tail light growing out of the rear fender like a dandelion. I agree it is bulbous.

I have seen pics of a few cafe treatments of the XSR and they look very reminiscent of RD's or where the styling might have progressed if they didn't go towards full fairings. It is hard to see how much bigger the XSR is from pictures. 

Nobody in this area even had an XSR 700 which *might* be a better overall bike than the MT-09/XSR900 if you aren't 250+. Yamaha is selling the crap out of the MT-07's

One bike I really liked the feel of when I was trying them on was the MT-10. It was really comfortable for me. I tried to stay on task and not exceed parameters I set at the beginning. I don't believe I needed a liter or to spend extra cash. I probably could get used to Transformer styling. 

IR8D8R

retaRD

That bike is a duckbill tail, clip-ons, and bodywork away from a good looking TZish modern classic.

85RZwade

That is one cool bike; you will be very happy together! Love the colors. The white with red and blue, the gold wheels...seems so familiar. Where have I seen that before  :umm:
I post waayyy too much

retaRD

85RZwade

That's not what I was thinking, but an excellent answer!
I post waayyy too much

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

SoCal250

75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

retaRD

If you happen to blow up the motor... here's an option: