News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

K&N y-boot filter support and tool tray

Started by m in sc, May 21, 2020, 08:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

Been raining here every day, so decided to look at supporting the k&n filter on the 70 R5 and give the ability to actually carry tools on there if need be.

just bored with some scrap aluminum laying around, i did a rough fab of this to do both. this snaps right in utilizing the stock airbox support grommet under the tank, and the back rests on the lip of the 'floor' of the battery box, and the upper frame rails. the only thing i did was to bend the 2 ears forward on the battery support.

the filter has a small scrap of aluminum bolted to the top with the middle hole tapped m6x1. in the filter housing, there are 2 new m6 nylock nuts on the inside cinched up  so they cant come loose with 2 countersunk  screws in the top.  under the 'tool burrito' is a counter sunk m6 screw that can be removed to pull the plate out if need be, this is what supports the filter.  The back part of the tray clears the filter by 1/4 inch at closest point so no air restrictions.

its not the prettiest fab work, but its just function right now. I'll prob remake it later or at least clean it up and paint.

But, this resolves the filter hanging off the back, and helps support the carbs the way the stock airbox does, saving the carb boots from undue stress.  :wave:

Kawtriplefreak

m in sc

thanks. i need to get in there with the dyna file and clean those edges and radius's a lot. going to also add a small lip to the back of the top plate where i have the plugs to keep stuff from sliding back.

85RZwade

You just need a clever marketing name for it and you can start production!
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

cleaned it up a bit last night, decided not to paint it up top (painted the underside though) as it will prob just get scraped up a bit. added rear lip to keep stuff from potentially sliding back, and then hit it with the dyna file and some scotch brite to finish it off. 

No, i don't make parts to sell but feel free to copy it. just a sheet of aluminum, a vice, a drill, tap, screws and some measurements.  :patriot: :cheerleader:

202wagon

That's a great idea ! COVID forward thinking 🤣
1972 R5C  1972 DS7  1974 RD350A
1975 YZ80B  1975 GT80/YZ hybrid
1977 YZ80D 1977 LB80-3D
1978 RD400  www.oilypipes.com

m in sc

for posterity: finished.
(also as a side note, i havent missed a day of work ;) )