Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

VP Fuels...

Started by AAAltered, June 26, 2020, 08:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Djg8493

This site is helpful, they have an app as well.  www.pure-gas.org/  It shows you a map of all gas stations that sell ethanol-free gas, its not perfect but helpful and shows what they are selling.
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

sav0r

What do you guys do when you have to stop at a pump?
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

thatguy

Anything of mine that runs VP stuff isn't basic transport. Not a concern for me.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

sav0r

Is anybody is riding their vintage 2t as primary transportation? I hope not, though i'd give that person some major credit if they pull it off. Further than a single tanks worth of fuel in a single day seems reasonable.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

i've done 150-200 mile days. recently actually.  :toot: Primary? no.  A lot? yes.

Then theres Allen Wood & his iron butt rides on his buffalo or the t500. :dawg: :devil:

RDFL

I've sold quite a few RD's to scooter kids who ride them constantly. 

Czakky

I'm just waaay more likely to ride a bike that is convenient to ride. I don't mind wrenching but sometimes a guy has to beat the hell out of his bike! (Chuck don't read that second part).

85RZwade

I don't get far from home on the bike much anymore, so I could go to premix but never have for long. The RZ has been my daily transportation to work the last few weeks with a tank bag for my lunch and whatever else bungee corded behind me (a set of RZ cases yesterday). There's a Cenex station selling ethanol-free gas in town, so I fill up there with the local old car crowd. I keep some ethanol-free fuel at home for anything that has diaphragms in it's carb, and I treat the cheap fuel before putting it in carbs with floats. A big part of my work life involves cleaning gummed-up carburetors!
I post waayyy too much

Plasticman

I run C12 in my racing RD400 (and my VW Super Beetle from time to time).  I guess I'm lucky, I have a VP gas station a couple of miles from me that stocks what I want, and our local farm/coop is a VP dealer and always has C12 in stock.  For a stock RD, I run premium and keep the carbs drained.

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)

RDryan

We don't have easily accessible ethanol free gas where I live so I just run the premium mixed with stabilizer. Run a tank of that thru the bike at the end of the season and fill tank with the same. I don't even drain the carbs. Bike may sit for five months and she will still fire right up at will. Now that I'm the proud owner of a KTM Superduke GT I think I'm gonna have to keep the stabil in the gas at all times in the RD as I just don't ride it enough but that was part of the point of getting another bike so I don't burn out my little two fiddy rocket.  :vroom:

So what do you guys think of stabilizer?... seems to do what it's made for...

m in sc

I used to have to clean out my ex father in laws vtx1100 carb every year after he let it sit for 3-4 mos with stabilizer. (stabil) i don't use it at all with modern fuels.  just my .02. I know people swear by it but nope. 

1976RD400C

Star Tron additive has had a good reputation for winter storage.

http://www.starbrite.com/startron
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

m in sc

i used that for a while in my ducati years ago. didn't hurt but didn't really help either, was supposedly the 'cure' to the spreading fuel tanks on the sport classics. it still swelled but different issue i think. IF i were to use one, that would be the one.

RDryan

Yeah I really can't say if stabilizer works or not. I guess I just do it as it's recommended and I haven't had issues using it. So I fired up the RD and took her for a 10 mile ride after she had been sitting for about 6 weeks. She fired on the third kick and no hiccups at all whilst running. I guess I'll count my blessings.  :vroom:

Barto

Quote from: Djg8493 on June 29, 2020, 09:40:36 AM
  This site is helpful, they have an app as well.  www.pure-gas.org/  It shows you a map of all gas stations that sell ethanol-free gas, its not perfect but helpful and shows what they are selling.

That is a great resource for road trips and is where I found the two stations within 10 mi. that I frequent.  Their price for 87 octane ethanol free is about $0.20/gal. more than E10 mid-grade.    Previously I went to a nearby distributor (now defunct) that sold 5 or 6 grades of race fuel and ethanol free premium which was still over twice the cost of pump premium and within spitting distance of their 100 octane leadfree.

Sadly, the www.pure-gas.org app is currently iphone only, and I'm back to android so I have to squint at the non-mobile site.

'79 400F                             '82 KZ750E
'79 Husqvarna WR390          '70 MTD minibike
'77 Husqvarna CR390           '55 Indian Woodsman (British 500 Bullet) basket
'75 Bultaco Alpina 350
'66 Benelli Cobra 125