News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

VP Fuels...

Started by AAAltered, June 26, 2020, 08:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAAltered

My stash of ethanol free 95 octane is just about out, and there are no reliable ethanol free or race fuel pumps near me, other than perhaps a marina that's advertised 100 octane.

What's the correct VP product for an R5 with oil pump?  Is it C12?  That states best for air cooled 2strokes....
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

m in sc

if its not for a race bike run pump fuel. all mine are tuned to run 10%  :twocents:

sav0r

Yeah high test seems fine. Just either drain you carbs at the end of the year or leave them and run them through the ultrasonic tank at the start of the year.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Gene Ungar

At the moment I have 8 bikes licensed*.  I got tired of periodically cleaning carbs and now run ethanol-free fuel only.  I get 100 octane 100% dino juice at the local airport for $4 per gallon.  There is also a place a bit further away from my house in suburban Houston that caters to industry that also has ethanol free fuel.  It was $4 per gallon when normal gas was $3.00.  It's still the same price even though gas has dropped to $1.80.

* 8 bikes are not much more expensive than 2.  Historic plates in TX are $5 per year.  Insurance is $10 each once you get enough bikes.  The only fly in the ointment is that my wife will sometimes count them up.   ;D

m in sc

just fire em off every couple of weeks. I havent had to clean a nasty carb from sitting for years. and i have 11 on the road  IF they sit, 1 oz of premix in a full tank helps.

AAAltered

I haven't had to run pump ethanol gas in 6 years but when I did, my carbs had to come off every 4-6 weeks for cleaning.  Welcome to NJ.  Perhaps I'll give it another try...
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

1976RD400C

Looking at this list of VP fuels, they sure make a variety. If that's what you want, C12 or C9 looks good. It says the C9 has a long shelf life. We have ethanol free 91 all over the place around here ($2.65/gal). And, there is a Sunoco station about 15 miles away by a little dirt track that has a 110 race fuel pump ($9/gal).
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

m in sc

maybe NJ is different, but here no issues.   :twocents: 

Acme Moto

I run VP Vintage Leaded in all my bikes. My local supplier doesn't stock it but can have it for me in a day or so. It's worth every penny as I have not had to clean any carbs since using this!
Current bikes: 82' RD350LC, 85' RZV500, 86' RZ500S, 88' YSR50, 90' YSR50, 91' RGV250, 96'RS250, 06' Banshee
Sold: 92' TZR250SP :(

sav0r

I just run 93. I can ultrasonic my carbs for free but I rarely need to. Draining the carbs isn't hard but I rarely do it because I'm lazy.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

85RZwade

I had to replace petcocks on two of our kids' bikes a few years ago because they were leaking. Disassembly revealed the body of the petcock corroded and irreparable; I blame ethanol.
I post waayyy too much

Kawtriplefreak

100 LL is my choice for bike storage fuel, chainsaws, weedeater,Farmall A mowing Tractor, and my Lawn Boy Duraforce 2 stroke mower. All my small engines. You have to clean or change plugs on the 4 cycle stuff a little more often but it sure beats cleaning carbs

m in sc

i mean, i get the preference. However, i actually ride my bikes to places i may not anticipate. I always set them up to run on pump fuel.  My 67 kawi 120 sat for 9 mos int he warehouse at work, and it started 3th kick on tank fuel, no issues, rode home. However, its on premix because i cant rebuild the pump, and i don't ride it enough to really worry about it. a bit of premix in the tank helps, even tiny amounts. whats funny is , even on the concours owners group forum, the preferred method of avoiding ethanol greenies is to ass an oz or 2 to a full tank (which is almost 7 gallons) and run it thru the carbs.   Don't get me wrong, i HATE ethanol but  you can live with it.  I even run it in the 62, 66, and 76 fords. :twocents:

Kawtriplefreak

For me it is more of a lack of time. I pay $5 a gallon and the airport is 300 yards from the house. I jet mine for pump fuel too so the 100 LL makes them a little rich in the summer. But I ride the least in the summer because we are busy making hay and I don't like to ride when it is way hot out. So it works well for me.

thatguy

If you wanna run VP fuel VPR is a good choice for a mild performance engine. Octane isn't too high and it's pushing 6% oxygen for a couple extra ponies providing jetting is addressed. What I like about VP fuels is the consistency and latitude. It's forgiving once tuned properly and is the same batch to batch unlike the swill dispensed at the local station.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson