Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

cable chokes on tms

Started by m in sc, July 29, 2020, 01:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

messed with this a bit over the past day or 2. In my box of cable si had a remote twin pull choke setup that came with a set of, i think, vm34's? i had bought years ago,  i think snowmobile carbs.

with the inaccessible RH enrichener on the TM, i adapted this to fit. made a small plate on the beverly shear out of aluminum to mount the lever housing to. cut o-ring seats in the fitting s that go into the carbs to match the stock tm ones (probably not nec but also easy to do),  and since the , presumable plastic? lever was missing, made on out of some scrap aluminum on the mill. used a countersink m3 screw as the pivot. seems to work really well.

evenings in the garage since its soo stupid hot during the day after work, and its rained, well, forever this year, every. freaking. day.   :taz:

teazer

Excellent solution.  Nicely done and very similar to the (all plastic) design used on many sleds.  Another solution is the short  lever used on older Suzukis which bolted onto the clutch lever perch.

I like how your design is tucked away.

You could also use a GSXR left bar switch which comes with the "choke" lever, same as Ducatis where it's just an idle speed adjuster.

m in sc

THANKS

I considered the bar style, Suzuki used them as well. also considered a very shortened clutch lever with a second perch, but under the tank is really really easy to get to so did this. yes,t he 1st one ou pictured is pretty much exactly the one i have, or at least interchangeable. even the cables were the right length to work, although if they were 2" shorter wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

Kawtriplefreak

RMRD

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FoIGmEhKfsw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

attempting to embed video

RMRD

I don't think I did that right, but anyway, this is my solution for right side choke lever on TM34.
It works, but I think (well, I hope) that it could be designed a little better.  When the back of the lever pivots upward, it forces the plunger up, but it also forces it toward the carb body a little bit, not just perfectly straight up... so over time it might cause unwanted wear on the brass plunger shaft or the cavity in the carb body that it rides in.

RMRD

Pin goes through plunger shaft into cavity on home-made lever, marries the two moving parts.

m in sc

nice workaround. :clap: well done

I was thinking of doing something similar, but had the stuff laying around figured id try it. 

Czakky

This will give me something to do this winter.