News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

R5 handlebars

Started by dgorms, August 06, 2020, 09:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgorms

So I'm going through my latest acquisition, a 72 R5. New motor,pipes,DG heads and mechanicals. Shooting for a period correct hot rod. Looking for suggestions on handle bars. Definitely not using the stock bars! Any recommendations?.................................................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

m in sc

if you can find them, 1st gen sv650, gladius, or fz1 bars. comfortable bend, dosent look out of place. i cant stand drag bars, wrist killers. super period correct? clubmans but  :brownseat:

85RZwade

As luck would have it, he's got a set of clubman 'bars in his garage!
I post waayyy too much

Dvsrd

1st gen Ducati Monster bars. Alloy,  so lightweight as well. Very similar to the "Superbike Low" bars from LSL i use on my RD350, XS650 and Duc ST2. Around 2"/ 50 mm rise IIRC.

Czakky

I like my CB400f bars. Mostly flat, narrow and they have holes to feed wires through.

AAAltered

1" "Fat Bars" are an option, with a bonus of clean new perches...

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

IR8D8R

I have some really cool *rare* Z-bars I'm not using. The rust will probably buff out...

Bike hasn't been on the road since 1979 so they should be period-correct.

IR8D8R

m in sc

pro tapers are sweet but not period.

I have some old aluminum (or so i was told) flanders? flat track bars on the t500, really like them.

RDFL

Quote from: IR8D8R on August 07, 2020, 06:57:41 PM
I have some really cool *rare* Z-bars I'm not using. The rust will probably buff out...

Bike hasn't been on the road since 1979 so they should be period-correct.

IR8D8R
You can flip them upside down and have super clubmans.

Dvsrd

Quote from: m in sc on August 07, 2020, 08:03:31 PM
pro tapers are sweet but not period.

I have some old aluminum (or so i was told) flanders? flat track bars on the t500, really like them.
To me, it seems mx bars have very little pullback (sweep), possibly making them a bit uncomfortable. While stock RD350 bars have tok much, and are too high as well.

Kawtriplefreak

Maybe not the period correct you are looking for but I use one inch rise superbike bars on mine. They look good and they are comfortable.

85RZwade

They're not really "period", but they are old! Steel 'bars on my '82 Elsie will need some refinishing and available for a song...

You do sing, don't you?
I post waayyy too much

zedixe13

My suggestion , stay away from clubman bars , they look great but they are a pain to ride more than 10 minutes . The best bend I found are the first gen. RZ350 and the LC .

m in sc

stock rz bars are the exact same bend as an sv.  :wave:  AND still available new from yamaha, or at least were a year ago.  77 bucks @ partzilla  29L-26111-00-00 (thanks for the reminder, i forgot about those)

dgorms

Thanks all for the input, Wade, if I hadn't already given the Fugly clubmans away they'd be yours! I do have an extra set of RZ bars(little bent) that I will try, thanks again for the input...........D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum