(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

TZ style dry clutch cover for RD

Started by mavguy, August 18, 2020, 01:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

of course, that would almost guarantee a RH side drop on the test ride.  :taz:

sav0r

That's a decent size billet just to get started. Probably $150 just in raw material.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Dxrat

The one I used is cast, somewhat like the original. I'm sure you could scrounge around and get it done for the 1500-1800 range. I bought an expensive billet basket and inner hub so I blew by that estimate. Probably $2500 ish in mine.

How do I post video's on this site?

m in sc

youtube embedding link easiest way, or the vimeo one. 

last time i looked was like 6-7 yrs ago.

Dxrat

A short video while it still had the bad center hub. Hopefully I'll get it back together this week.

[vimeo] https://vimeo.com/451297655?ref=em-share[/vimeo]

Daytona Z

teazer

That dry clutch looks really sexy.  Every so often I think about modifying a spare TZ primary cover to take a kickstarter and then I remember that I would need a longer clutch shaft plus a set of straight cut gears and a complete TZ clutch and the only ones I have are for the TZ.  It seemed like such a neat idea until I started to think about the cost.

So I will fit a Banshee lockup clutch with straight cut primary gears and a Banshee side cover instead.  Of course that also needed a modified Banshee kick starter shaft, but that was cheap enough.

Dxrat

Quote from: teazer on September 02, 2020, 11:49:44 PM
That dry clutch looks really sexy.  Every so often I think about modifying a spare TZ primary cover to take a kickstarter and then I remember that I would need a longer clutch shaft plus a set of straight cut gears and a complete TZ clutch and the only ones I have are for the TZ.  It seemed like such a neat idea until I started to think about the cost.

So I will fit a Banshee lockup clutch with straight cut primary gears and a Banshee side cover instead.  Of course that also needed a modified Banshee kick starter shaft, but that was cheap enough.

Not a cheap endeavor that's for sure. The noise isn't for everyone either. It's not just the clutch rattle, those straight cut gears are noisy as hell.  😂

toffee

i always loved the idea of a dry clutch, it looks great
but i would like to have the oil pump enclosed/covered
"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion..." - Newton's 1st law of Motion

Dxrat

Quote from: toffee on September 04, 2020, 05:22:41 PM
i always loved the idea of a dry clutch, it looks great
but i would like to have the oil pump enclosed/covered

I have some ideas but none of the available side covers offer a pump cover. I don't think any have provisions for the oil pump at all. It took a bit of work to get this one going.

toffee

"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion..." - Newton's 1st law of Motion

RayL

Fondseca is no longer selling the kit. I really want one. I emailed Nova Transmissions in England and they can make the input shaft but that's about it. Anyone know where I can still get one???

stresa

Quote from: RayL on December 03, 2023, 04:09:28 PMFondseca is no longer selling the kit. I really want one. I emailed Nova Transmissions in England and they can make the input shaft but that's about it. Anyone know where I can still get one???
@RayL I wrote in 2020 in this thread that a german guy do the long shaft and the clutch sidecover with kickstarter hole. This guy, a racing friend of mine, did made the parts for Fondseca. I got the 2 shafts and a cover from his last batch. He got a victim of the big flood here in Germany in 2021 and lost his complete workshop. He did a lot of replica parts, mainly for TZs. That is one of the reasons Fondseca don't sell them anymore. He just started to get things sorted to do a bit of work again but sadly life was not good to him. He passed away this morning after a long battle with COPD. RIP Bernd :'(
Regards Uwe
81 Jackson Special 250, 2x 74 Yamaha RD250 racer + 1 street racer, 78 Yamaha RD400, 72 R5/RD350, 74 RD250 dirttracker street, 75 Yapol TZ250, 89 Honda RS125,
80 Hejira TM250, RD375/3, 77 Höpfner-TD3, 76 RD/TD3,
74 Yamaha TZ/RD250A, 78 Siroko TZ250, 75 Bakker TZ350B, Tomic 200, Waddon Rotax125

m in sc

Acme Moto

Georgios Sotirchos in Greece makes them. Search for him on Facebook. He is very responsive with messenger and was a pleasure to deal with. I recently bought two of them but have not installed them yet. One for my RZV and one for my LC350. RZV was about $2,000 and you need to send him your side cover to modify. LC350 was about $1,800 and he provides a modified side cover. I'll try to take some pics later this evening. 
Current bikes: 82' RD350LC, 85' RZV500, 86' RZ500S, 88' YSR50, 90' YSR50, 91' RGV250, 96'RS250, 06' Banshee
Sold: 92' TZR250SP :(