News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

Pidjones' bicentenial build (a '76 RD400)

Started by pidjones, August 26, 2020, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pidjones

Battery came in yesterday evening, and everything non-engine related seems to work except the signals. Think we might need a new flasher.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

pidjones

Snipped from my first post:
Quote from: pidjones on August 26, 2020, 05:57:33 PMDisconnected all the tubes from the oil tank, drained a couple ounces of oil out (20 year old and still flowing?), and put some isopropyl alcohol in it that drained out through the supply line fairly easy. I'll still put a camera down in there to  inspect the screen.
Well, camera inspection revealed that the screen is ripped up real bad. I plan to pull it all lout and replace it with an inline 2T jetski oil filter https://www.amazon.com/SEADOO-275000051-275000262-275-000-051-275-000-262

pidjones

Ok, I got the 3 pole electronic flasher to work. Yamaha for some reason swapped the load pole position on the relay. All that I had to do was swap the yellow/green connector with the brown/white connector, and at least flasher-wise, it is working great! Remind me in four or five montbs to report on if the cancelling function works.

pidjones

Probably the last photo for a while. Carbs are on, everything hooked up except fuel and oil supply lines. Now to wait for weather to paint, decal, and clear the tanks and side cover. Then make smoke!

m in sc

pidjones

RD has been rolled out to the shed. Sheet rock (gypsum board) taken down to permit replacement of the cantilevered joists that support a little 4 foot by six foot deck from the kitchen. Those are in now, but the ceiling can't be repaired until the inspector has checked it. The 12 foot by 12 foot deck has already been removed and replaced with a new one using composite decking that costs a freakin' fortune, but is supposed to outlast us.

pidjones

With the decks and siding completed on the West side of the house, I have been able to roll the RD back into the garage. Today I pulled the wheels off to have new Shinkos mounted. Ratchet strap to keep the center stand locked forward, pulled  the front off  then tipped it forward until the fork legs rested on a box to allow the rear to come out.

sav0r

www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

TNWillie

pidjones

Thanks, folks. New tires are on and wheels remounted. Had to raise the front fender to the lower mounting holes for the mount to clear the edge of the fat metric tire Also had to remove the caliper to get it past (that is a job, why did Yamaha design it like that?) Would have been so much easier if the mounting bolts both came in from the outside. Maybe it is because of these alloy pattern calipers?  Rear with a 3.50 was fine, but still required the caliper to be loose to get it by.

pidjones

The screen in the bottom of the oil tank is trashed. I made up a little aluminum filter body on my lathe to put a 60 mesh brass screen in to replace the filtering capacity.

pidjones

Fiddle pharting around until weather breaks and I can paint. Disassembled my paint guns and ran them through the ultrasonic cleaner. Installed a new gasket on the fuel tank cap. Gasket was from Sumo rubber parts. Ground and drilled the rivets out, cleaned it all up with the wire wheel, than reassembled with pop rivets. It got up over freezing today (barely), and the guys are supposed to be here tomorrow to finish the front deck. Next week MIGHT see painting weather (doubtful, though). I do have the paint from RS Bike Paints. It is waterborne, so will be a whole new trick for me to learn. Everything that I've read and watched about it indicates that it should be easier than the lacquer that I have been using. I will still clear coat with 2K rattle can from SprayMax. I have 2 cans of it - one for after the color is fully dry, and one for after the decals are on and several days drying.

pidjones

Well, temperatures got over 60F today, so I shot the color and first clear on the tins. Not my best work, but it is my first time with the waterborne. I could have done a LOT better on the bodywork too, but this bike has plenty of blemishes so it wasn't worth a lot of effort and time. I plan on this one being ridden a lot in good weather, and I have some great roads nearby to ride it on. Now to order the decals.

pidjones

Replacement decals came today. Correct color, now.  They are on and clear coated, but the clear coat fish eyed on one side of the tank so it will have to be sanded flat on that side. They showed up on the first pass, so I gave them a dust coat for future paint to stick to and then built up well so they should sand out Ok. I don't think I'll need to sand the side covers at all.

pidjones

Yesterday I wet sanded with 1000 grit and used a touch-up dauber to fill the craters with left-over clear. Then let it all cure another day.

First day of wet sanding went well. Good amount of time spent with 800 grit getting things level and the eyes closed. Then, less with 1200 and quickly through 2000, 3000, and 5000. 7000 finished it off to compounding. I'm out of my good 3M rubbing compound, so used Turtle Wax rubbing compound and it was just Ok. 3M Finesse-It finishing compound still rocks, but I'll need to go over the tank one more time with it to get some mild haze out. My Harbor Freight variable speed buffer varies speed on its own and I don't trust it. Changed to an old Craftsman random orbit polisher that came in a 5 gallon bucket kit the wife bought for me years ago. Slow going, but at least it is pretty safe on the paint.