News:

Mat Oxley 1986 IOM TT

click above to read more about Mat.

Main Menu

B OG RD400C

Started by M@, September 07, 2020, 11:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teazer

I would pull the carbs and clean them thoroughly paying attention to the pilot circuits.

Sounds like zero fuel going through.

And after the carbs are guaranteed cleaner than a clean thing, pull both plugs and rest them on the motor and kick and see if the spark disappears after the first few revolutions.  You may need to recruit a soon to be ex-friend to turn the rear wheel over with it in gear or borrow a race starter or push it down the street while hanging over the seat looking at the plugs (Not recommended obviously).

It is possible that it stops sparking as the engine fires or revs rise, which could be something breaking down in the zeel or ignition, but that's unusual unless you have a relay in there that is unlatching as the revs (and volts) rise.

But as with all electrical problems, start with the carbs.

M@

So I checked the carbs.  No problems.  Also I was starting with the enrichment circuit on. Also neither cylinder was firings.  It's not like it was running on one cylinder. 

Any other ideas on why it seems to fire when the stator is not charging.

Is it possible to run on the battery as a test ie no stator charging.  Just unplug the rectifier?   

RustyRD

are you using the relay as shown for the ignition cutoff? possibly there is an issue with the relay. if so try leaving the relay out of the system bypassing it. possibly something causing the relay to kill the ignition.

paul1478

When I watch your video it is just like my 400. Only ran for a second.
What happened is the power dynamo fell apart internally (screws backed out). You would have to pull it apart to check so maybe as a last result....
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

M@

Thanks for the advice.  I pulled the relay and switched it. Same problem. 

I notice my horn only works during the time that the neutral light is on. In other words when the motor is turning over. Not even a click from the relay.  I don't recall how that is wired up. I seem to recall it's not stock.  I'll dig into that while I test out without the ignition relay at all. 

It seams like there is a strange polarity problem where the neutral light will only light when the motor is turning over (charging), but the ignition won't fire.  I've got some leds I'll use to test that out. 

Anyway I had to rob a fuel tank off an old motor to troubleshoot with the tank off.  So I'm waiting to finish that before I can proceed.

Does anyone know if I can run this with the rectifier unplugged?

M@

Oh yeah one more thing.  I notice when I turn the ignition off it always fires the plugs.  Is that normal?

Czakky

Somethings not right... I'd start at the switch and work my way through..

M@

Good advice.  That's next.  I was able to disconnect the blue wire from the coils.  Ground that and it kills the engine.  Still the same.

I was looking through the trouble shooting page John sent me :  https://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/kb/generals.htm and it appears there's a dead link on troubleshooting the stator.  Does anyone have that saved or at least the expected resistance in the stator?

Thanks,
Matt

M@

I just had to dig around a bit more to find this:  https://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/kb/values.htm

I'll type it here for all time:
Black to Black (lightcoil)  0.34 ohm
White-red (ignition) 600ohm

Pickup:  older version is 200 ohm and newer version is 92ohms.  It sound like it wants you to touch it quickly with a metal object to observe a change in resistance...  I'm thinking a hammer at this point...

M@

Well, obviously this was simple.

It was a grounding problem for the motor and frame.  It's hard to know exactly the problem in advance, but at least I only got to the tank off condition.

Thanks for all the help from the forum and for Economy Cycle, John's patience.  I didn't call to bug him a lot, but he also was willing to help.

M@

Well, this is turning into a cautionary tale about leaving your beloved alone.

My front brake situation apparently also included my front caliper sticking.  I took it apart to push the caliper in and freed it up mostly.  I probably need a rebuild kit, but I wanted to put it back together and go for a real test ride. 

When I tightened the braided stainless front line I bought only a few years ago the nut cracked in half.  It's just obvious the bike was telling me I needed to rebuild the caliper or suffer. So now I have a kit a line and pads on the way. 

Like with jetting listen to what the bike wants. :)

85RZwade

Do not EVER part with a motorcycle that prevents you from riding with a sticking front caliper. It clearly loves you  :-*
I post waayyy too much