Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

B OG RD400C

Started by M@, September 07, 2020, 11:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M@

I guess I could rebuild my build build.  Not very remarkable, but it's mine.

Bought in Summer of 2003 or 4.  It seems like I should care, but I don't.

This is 40,000mi ish condition.  I bought it from my college roommate's dad that bought it from an estate sale.  There was a sticky carb and it was hard to open the throttle and he rode it around on one cylinder for about 6 months.  He's also about 250lb.... so... he didn't like it.   I cleaned the carb and rode it for about it year before I had a big end lockup.

As a poor college student I left it be at my parents shed for a couple of years before it was resurrected in my grad school years.

I sent it to Brad at HVC to rebuild the crank and transmission (probably a mistake.  It pops out of 5th occasionally now).

M@

So along with getting a new bottom end I decided it would be cool to put banshee reeds in and mill the head.  That didn't go to well and I ended up back with the stock metal reeds, but I did get a doweled head in the process.  I also took the whole thing apart cleaned an replaced a bunch of parts like the brake seals and chain etc.

M@

So now it was fully functional with all new ish bits and I rode the tires off that thing... maybe 4 sets....  I put on two sets of pistons over that period as the first set rattled a lot so I sent it to the BEST... don't recall their name, but they rattled a lot too...

At some point I put on some Coffman pipes that I believe are for a 350, but can't say for sure... 

Oh yeah and the power dynamo that thing's a beast.  I had a totally flat battery the other day and I just kicked a few times... boom... going.

It's a 60,000mi now and my room mate's dad tries to buy it off me occasionally.  It's too small for me and for sure too small for him. 

M@

and a tag to let the civilians know.

m in sc

Czakky

Awesome! What's the cylinder bore at?

toffee

not bad at all, its had an eventful past.
nice to see it still going.
"An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion..." - Newton's 1st law of Motion

SoCal250

:clap: 60K and still truckin' and looking good
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

M@

I don't recall the bore now.  I guess it's 60 over.  In fact I've considered going to look for some new jugs. 

M@

The plot thickens....

Prelude:
I had a carb float problem.  See other thread... http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=2409.0   I think it ended up being a bad new needle valve.  I put in the old all metal one and no problems.  On my test ride the front master cylinder wasn't releasing (I think this is an older problem).  So I got a new front brake lever from John at EconomyCycle.com  Big shoutouts to follow.  I also had an older replacement turn signal switch to replace so I did all that at the same time.  So the headlight rats nest was disturbed.

Flashback:
Power-dynamo + Zeel installed.

Plot building:
I complete the rats nest reconstruction (?).  I start up and things seem fine, but as I move over maybe 30 ft it seems to be starving of fuel... this sort of reminds me of some of the "pre-prelude" issues and I assume it's due to low fuel (Now I suspect ignition).  I switch to reserve and carry on... I get about 100 feet and turn back, but about 30ft from the barn it just dies and won't start back.

Main theme:
When I kick the bike over it will only fire one or two revs before shutting down.  I pulled the headlight off and pushed and prodded the rats nest to see if that would stimulate anything, but no luck.  Here's a video of the behavior.  https://youtu.be/BjMv1LaxB54

I'm not sure where to turn next.  It's not really a problem to pull everything apart, but I'd like to know what I'm looking for.

I called and talked to John who was very helpful in jogging my memory prior to the video.  I don't think he would mind me calling again, but I also feel like 4-5 or more years after buying something it's up to me to figure out what's up.  Plus hive-mind etc.  If I can't get any direction I may call him again as I suspect there's something wrong with the generator (the way is slowly died near the end).   It might be grounding?  That sounds like a needle in a haystack problem. 

I'm hoping for an obvious oversight or direction before I rip it all apart.

Thanks for reading this far :)

pidjones

Video is marked private.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

M@

Sorry.  I think I fixed it.  I didn't really want to mess with my work side of the channel, but it's fine.  Let me know if that didn't work.

Czakky

Did you check to see if the rotor slipped? Seems fairly common on folks' first try with the Powerdynamo.

M@

That was my first guess too.  It's slipped at least once before.  That time I lapped surfaces, heated the rotor, and green loc-tited the surfaces.

I checked (see the timing marks and indicator) and it didn't slip.

Czakky

Got it. I couldn't see the vid earlier.