Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Coffee

Started by sav0r, September 11, 2020, 09:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

QuoteI like my Cuisinart with integrated grinder. It's a good blend of quality and convenience. I like coffee ready when I get up in the morning as an extra incentive to get out of bed. The program function and integrated grinder is a must for me.

the mill & brew was like that. it made a racket but was nice to come down to it. the keurig i have has a programmable timer to turn on, so i literally push a button and in less than a minute im ready to go

sav0r

Once I get back from my bicycle ride I'll write a proper response, but I didn't expect this to blow up like this.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

retaRD

French press with coffee from a local roaster.
Every day.

sav0r

Great responses from everybody, thanks for the excellent content!

I was looking at the Breville actually. Once upon a time I had a decent espresso machine and loved it. Something that can make a nice espresso is really enticing. I was thinking about the Bambino Plus but I'll have to look through all the specs to try and understand what the hell I am looking at.

That said, I love my french press. it makes great coffee, and I generally just drink it over the entire day. Locally, here in Pittsburgh, there is a never ending supply of freshly roasted beans. I try to buy lower quantities and purchase more often, that way the coffee is fresh. Most of the good roasters sell by weight so there's no penalty for buying lower quantity, you scoop it yourself. Of course, I need to get out of this nasty k-cup habit.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Striker1423

Either percolator, or cowboy coffee Kent Rollins style. Throw grounds right in pot and bring to rolling boil. Cold water over surface to settle grounds and pour coffee.

pdxjim

... yeah, I should get back to local beans.

When I was doing a french press every day, I was burning thru the beans like crazy, but another good thing about the espresso machine is you use waay less coffee.

Living where I do in Portland, there are gourmet boutique beans all over.  The original Stumptown cafe is about three blocks from my house, and there are two other boutique roasters right down the street.

Another thing about the espresso machine:  you gotta re-adjust the settings every time you change beans, so best to find a coffee you like and stick with it.

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

85RZwade

Total coffee Philistine here; 1 cup a day out of Mr. coffee, made with whatever coffee my lovely (and thrifty) bride finds on sale. HEAVY dose of whatever creamer the aforementioned sale shopper found. More than one cup gives me shaky hands.
I post waayyy too much

mnein

I'm with m in sc on the old 8 o'clock bean. Cheap but good. Folgers tastes and smells like dookie. Will grind some beans now and then when I have time. Tim Hortons is also good, that may only be a northerners thing not sure.

m in sc

I like Tim Hortons. Dave B (theotherdave on here) is kind enough to bring me some from Canadia when he comes to the states to visit. 

retaRD

Quote from: Striker1423 on September 11, 2020, 08:54:07 PM
Either percolator, or cowboy coffee Kent Rollins style. Throw grounds right in pot and bring to rolling boil. Cold water over surface to settle grounds and pour coffee.
I do this when I'm camping.
I was blown away the first time I had seen it done.

quocle603

Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

SoCal250

Quote from: quocle603 on September 15, 2020, 11:52:15 AM
For those with deep pockets. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_luwak
And if you like drinking coffee that's been sourced from poop   :brownseat:
"...after being defecated with other fecal matter, they are collected."
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

IR8D8R

Luwak coffee... Using Palm Civets. I've tried it in Jakarta. It was $10 a cup. The Indonesians are very proud of it. I was underwhelmed.

Palm civets are sort of like a racoon. The Thais do the same thing using elephants. A lot of coffee is grown and consumed in the ASEAN nations. Some of it is really good. Especially Vietnam.

I have tried processing home-grown coffee. It ain't easy by hand without specialized equipment bean-by-bean. There's a coating on the seed under the fruit flesh that is really tough and a bitch to get off. Roasting in the oven is very stinky. It has a skunk-like odor.

No doubt the exercise led to indonesians trying the animal-process. They keep the civets in cages and feed them coffee cherries which they presumably relish. The little guys digest the fruit and expel the seeds sans the things that we remove with machinery. The seeds (beans) are undigested.

It wasn't worth $10 a cup. More like $1.50.

IR8D8R

pdxjim

I have bought green coffee beans and roasted 'em in a cast iron skillet on the stove.

Fun exercise, I guess, but much easier to let the pros do it.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

thatguy

Dark roasted whole bean ground for each pot. Percolated dark. Touch of 1/2 & 1/2 with sugar to suit.

Started drinking coffee at 4 years old with my great grandfather during summers working the farm. Lots of (fresh-dairy farm) cream and sugar and that habit stuck with me. My great grandmother got up at O'Dark thirty every morning to make fresh bread and cook breakfast when we came back from morning chores. She had suffered a stroke in the '30s and was partially paralyzed but still pulled more than her weight. A crusty tough old gal who I respected but feared as a child. She made it to her 90's.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson