Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Coffee

Started by sav0r, September 11, 2020, 09:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sav0r

Let's hear what you guys are doing with your coffee.

I've done everything it seems. I started with drip, moved into a french press, then did pour over for a while. Now i'm using this el cheapo k-cup machine called a "Chulux" that actually make some pretty good coffee. It makes better coffee than any Keurig I've used, and I've used at least four of them at my office. That said, I hate the waste and I'd like to get back into shorter coffees.

What caused me to create this thread is that I recently finished up a bar addition that connects my kitchen to my dining room. It's perfect for an espresso machine or other coffee device. Especially since I effectively work from home these days and the bar has become my de facto work station since my wife uses the home office for her college work, and my son uses the kitchen table for his remote preschool learning (we are running out of spaces for computers/work).

Anyways... I've always loved a really solid cup of coffee. I figured the cultured 2t lovers here could tell me how it's done.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

The Red Scourge

Espresso Machine!!!  I make a french press every morning.  For me, short of espresso, it's the way to go.  I'd love an espresso setup though.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

m in sc

i have a high end keurig, its really good. in the past:

used to buy whole bean, grind, etc. then, had a melitta mill&brew. hands down best setup i ever had. however, they quit making it. My father, who is an avid coffee drinker, at the time, finally got thru to melittas office in Germany (he speaks fluent German so that helped) and it came down to they couldnt find anyone to make the machines and they suspected keurig had something to do with it. (this is when they really started taking off)

I have a french press as well. never use it.

if you want legit regular coffee: try the eight o clock cups. that's the old a&p brand from way back. solid no bs coffee.

thats how i roll.

Evans Ward

Coffee lover here and like it black to get the true taste of the beans. Medium quality is fine for me using ground brands such as McDonalds, Dunkin, etc.

Anyone have a good recommendation on a good cold brew coffee?
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

SoCal250

Starbucks, Peets, or Don Francisco whole bean or ground in a 12-cup KitchenAid machine. I have a French press but never use it.
I go through a lot of coffee, straight-up-black with no pollutants! :dawg: I'm with Evans, I need to enjoy the rich flavor of the beans. Love the taste of a great cup of fresh coffee. Haven't yet tried the Kenny Roberts Roast but it's on the list.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

pidjones

My wife will only drink regular Folgers. A 12 cup B&D (our 3rd) gets emptied daily. I occasionally make special coffee supplied to me by a friend that runs Pedal Java in Knoxville. I like most all coffees, but afraid that I must have a sweetener in it. The absolute best that I have ever had was espresso at the Florian Cafe on Piaza San Marco in Venice. Supposed to be the world's oldest sidewalk cafe. My weekly visit to the Time Warp Tea Room always includes a medium Americano - in the summer iced.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

Plasticman

Cuisinart with built in grinder for me that grinds the beans I get from Independence Coffee Company in Texas.  I like flavored coffees and since finding this vanilla bean coffee that doesn't clog up the coffee maker, we've stuck with it for many years now.  I have a french press I used to take on camp-outs when I was a Scoutmaster.  Maybe I'll switch back to it one day, who knows.

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)

Evans Ward

Quote from: pidjones on September 11, 2020, 12:12:25 PM
My weekly visit to the Time Warp Tea Room always includes a medium Americano - in the summer iced.

Hey- thanks for that info as a group of us 2 stroke RD sometimes ride up from the Deals Gap meet annually to the Time Warp Tea Room. I got the bowl of chili with a coke last time but will try the Iced Americana next time. Wanted to stay longer in the retro game room but we needed to head back not wanting to ride at night. That return trip, one in our group had a shorting stator wire that caused several stops back with a 1 hr return trip becoming a 4-5 hr return. Realized from that trip, I needed a better headlight bulb in my RZ and also my low beam filament had burned out not delighting the rider who was in front of me.
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

pdxjim

I was a french press man for many years, but a few years ago, my lovely wife got me a Breville Barista Express espresso machine.  Total game changer.

Once you get all the knobs and settings dialed in for the beans you are using, it makes a perfect coffee-shop quality espresso every time.

I do a double double (double shot, extracted twice) every morning with a splash of 40% heavy whipping cream.  No sugar.  That keeps me going until it's time for a beer at happy hour :)

Right now I'm using TJ's Fair Trade Organic Bolivian medium dark roast.  As some of you may know, the trend away from dark roasts toward lighter, brighter roasts started here in Portland almost two decades ago.  I can't stand french roast anymore.  Tastes burnt to me.

Not at all a fan of K-cups and the amount of waste they generate.  There's no room in my world for all that unneccessary plastic.

... anyway just bite the bullet and spend the $500 on the Barista Express.  You won't regret it.  After almost two years, that's just $1 a cup  :dawg:
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

pidjones

Quote from: Evans Ward on September 11, 2020, 12:32:05 PM
Quote from: pidjones on September 11, 2020, 12:12:25 PM
My weekly visit to the Time Warp Tea Room always includes a medium Americano - in the summer iced.

Hey- thanks for that info as a group of us 2 stroke RD sometimes ride up from the Deals Gap meet annually to the Time Warp Tea Room. I got the bowl of chili with a coke last time but will try the Iced Americana next time. Wanted to stay longer in the retro game room but we needed to head back not wanting to ride at night. That return trip, one in our group had a shorting stator wire that caused several stops back with a 1 hr return trip becoming a 4-5 hr return. Realized from that trip, I needed a better headlight bulb in my RZ and also my low beam filament had burned out not delighting the rider who was in front of me.
Plan on Tuesday evening visits! That is when the local group gathers to correct the world's problems. I'm usually on an old GoldWing until the RD400 is on the road.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

quocle603

I use to be fancy with my coffee but now I just use the good old Mr. Coffee. I grew up with Vietnamese coffee and the nice little dripper that took a solid 20 mins for a small 4oz of concentrated coffee with condense sweeten milk. My personal favorite was the french press but it would leave that toxic coffee sludge at the bottom of my cup that was nasty. Cold brew has been a nice trend for awhile. WHIP coffee is pretty cool as well.

Those who are interested in a nice espresso coffee, check out my buddy's coffee shop and support his local small business. He has a flavor for all of our needs.

https://www.unioncoffee.co/

https://www.unioncoffee.co/shop/coffee/union-two-stroke-espresso
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

pdxjim

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

quocle603

My bike night group meets at a coffee shop in Milford NH. Great crowd, AWESOME BIKES, and fantastic people. Not too many 2 strokes but when they do show up, people love it and always want to chat about them
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

IR8D8R

I love the Vietnamese coffee maker also. But you have to have the proper Vietnamese coffee to put in it. They add some kind of flavor to it but I have never been able to get a straight answer about what it is. Takes forever to drip through... Right about that.

I have a Starbucks Barista Athena espresso maker from the 90's. $20 at an estate sale. One of my all time best buys.

I also like the old standby Chemex glass coffee maker.

Peet's coffee. Major Dickason's blend is a regular. I met Alfred Peet when I was a kid. My parents bought all their coffee at his original Berkeley store at Walnut and Vine St.

I also like Costco Starbucks French Roast. Great for espresso but a little harsh for drip.

I tried Luwak coffee in Jakarta but it tastes like shit.  :dawg:

IR8D8R

Organicjedi

I like my Cuisinart with integrated grinder. It's a good blend of quality and convenience. I like coffee ready when I get up in the morning as an extra incentive to get out of bed. The program function and integrated grinder is a must for me.

I'm a dark roast fan and take my coffee black.

A roaster out of Madison, WI, Just Coffee, has their Skatepark blend- fair trade, organic, and reminds my of my teenage days grinding it out at the skatepark. Can't go wrong with that.

I also was a fan of Peace Coffee out of the Twin Cities, but haven't been able to find that in a while.