Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Weird leak RD400D

Started by Fredg411, September 23, 2020, 04:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredg411

Noticed some oil on top fin of cylinder. Figured gasket was leaking for whatever reason. Pulled head and found this on cylinder side of gasket. What caused this? A small Sharpie X exactly where the mark was. Scraped marker off cylinder with fingernail, so I can't show that. Last time head was off was 10 years ago (3k or so miles) for rings and seals. Don't remember marking the cylinder or why - maybe to keep piston with proper bore... No idea.  Also don't know why I didn't clean it off them. I probably ignored it, thinking it didn't matter. Well, it did!  It didn't leave a deep impression on the gasket - a thousandth or 2, but oil has been seeping very slowly - just a thin stain.  Gaskets ordered.

Quick, stupid question. Engine has to be out to pull the jugs, right? Never tried.

m in sc

that is an odd shaped inclusion in the gasket. Ive used copper head gasket spray on the copper head gaskets for years, always seals up nice and tight.

Diablo007

@m in sc
Thanks for the tip regarding copper head gasket spray.  I'll try that on the next engine that is in line for seals and gaskets.

@Fredg411
I was able to remove a cylinder from one of my RD350's with the engine in the frame.  Seems like it would be worth trying.  Taking the engine out is a headache, but that might be because I haven't done it enough.
2 stroke junkie:
Too many motorcycles to list.  The highlights:
1973 Yamaha RD350 Cafe Racer project; 1983 Suzuki RG250 YammaGamma project; 1988 Yamaha YSR50/80 project; 1984 Yamaha RZ350; 1984 Yamaha RZ500

1976RD400C

The frame is designed to take the jugs off without removing engine. Your gasket looks to be beat up bad with scrapes and file marks on the edges.

20200923-165814" border="0
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Fredg411

Not sure where the scrapes and scratches came from, been installed since 2009, I think they are original  :umm: - Vesrah. The X shaped mark is the impression left from a sharpie "x" I left on the cylinder.  It sounds like these are not candidates for annealling, but copper spray gasket sealer might work?

Pleasantly surprised that jugs can be removed in frame...

Thanks,
Fred

m in sc

i wonder what kind of weird chemical reaction that had. very odd. id def get  anew set.

Fredg411

I don't think it was chemical, at all. The ink was hard and a thousandth or so thick. It was squeezed between the cylinder and gasket, just like any other foreign object. We tend to think that ink has almost zero thickness- apparently not so... Bizarre.

Those gaskets look to be brass plated copper.

I've just noticed that the X has faintly printed through to the other side - even weirder. Check it out.

rodneya

If you could scrape the ink off it was not a regular sharpie. It may have been the type filled with liquid paint with the push the tip in to draw thing.

m in sc

Fredg411

Well then, I'm completely out of ideas...

rodneya

Maybe they were right to tell us not to sniff those permanent markers when I was a kid.

Diablo007

If I had to wager a guess it would be; the 'x' was made with a paint marker, the cylinder side of the gasket did not seal properly from the start due to the difference in height caused by the paint, somehow the outside edge did seal, and it took a while for the pressure to break the seal on the outside edge and cause a leak.  Or...the mark was made with a permanent marker which prevented the gasket from sealing where the 'x' was, carbon built up where the gasket wasn't sealed,  with the same end result.  I've never marked a sealing surface with a marker that I can remember so I may be off with that hypothesis.
2 stroke junkie:
Too many motorcycles to list.  The highlights:
1973 Yamaha RD350 Cafe Racer project; 1983 Suzuki RG250 YammaGamma project; 1988 Yamaha YSR50/80 project; 1984 Yamaha RZ350; 1984 Yamaha RZ500

quocle603

Mark beat me to it.

Yeah I had the toughest time sealing up my RD350 head. I annealed several copper head gaskets and it still did not seal up, even torqued it down pretty good.

Then I got some copper spray and thought it was a last effort attempt and did not think it would work but holy hell did it seal it up. NO MORE HEAD LEAK! :)

Quote from: Fredg411 on September 23, 2020, 04:15:26 PM
Quick, stupid question. Engine has to be out to pull the jugs, right? Never tried.

For RD350, you dont. Wish I knew more about RD400 but I dont think it does.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Organicjedi

Quote from: quocle603 on September 24, 2020, 10:27:21 AM
Mark beat me to it.

Yeah I had the toughest time sealing up my RD350 head. I annealed several copper head gaskets and it still did not seal up, even torqued it down pretty good.

Then I got some copper spray and thought it was a last effort attempt and did not think it would work but holy hell did it seal it up. NO MORE HEAD LEAK! :)

Quote from: Fredg411 on September 23, 2020, 04:15:26 PM

For RD350, you dont. Wish I knew more about RD400 but I dont think it does.

I've had my 400 cylinders off with the engine mounted. I think that's just a necessity with a 2 stroke.