Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

R5 Emulators

Started by Czakky, November 09, 2020, 09:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dvsrd

On my RD350, I got new springs and emulators from Racetech. The emulator came with an adapter bushings, that sit between damper rods and emulators. These adapters also have a plastic piston ring, to seal between fork tube and rebound piston (top part of damper rods)

https://www.racetech.com/ItemInfo/493

oxford

Quote from: m in sc on November 10, 2020, 10:23:39 AM
well, my bike is under 250 lbs wet and it works just fine. I did run alight oil too, this matters as well. (think i twas spectro 10wt?) I don't feel the need to change the springs in the valve at all. its pretty far out on the adjustment but not all the way at all.   :twocents:

This is good real world information.  Did you do anything with the low speed compression holes on the emulator?  IIRC, the clones come with 1 hole and I think it was stated to go with 2 for the Kawi's.

Quote from: Dvsrd on November 10, 2020, 12:03:48 PM
On my RD350, I got new springs and emulators from Racetech.

What did they supply for emulator springs that go on top?  Any was to measure the spring?  I'm guessing they are already in the bike.

m in sc

also, for posterity, i weigh 205.

RDFL

My fat ass ain't worried about to strong a spring.

Dvsrd

Quote from: oxford on November 10, 2020, 12:50:40 PM
What did they supply for emulator springs that go on top?  Any was to measure the spring?  I'm guessing they are already in the bike.

Actually, I plan to disassemble the fork to fit new tubes, some time om late january or february.

Czakky

Quote from: AAAltered on November 10, 2020, 07:44:40 AM
Bill you should post a "How To" when you do it....in my case the forks are the last area of upgrade needed.
Will do!

oxford

Anyone have a picture saved they could post of the rd350 damping rod for reference?

sav0r

www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Czakky

So I finally started tearing into this. I've got the top of the damping rods flattened.
Does the emulator just sit on top under spring pressure?

AAAltered

Bill I've been waiting for this.  If possible can you document the upgrade with pictures?  Front suspension is one of my last weak spots on the R5..
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

Dvsrd

Quote from: Czakky on April 10, 2021, 09:12:15 PM
So I finally started tearing into this. I've got the top of the damping rods flattened.
Does the emulator just sit on top under spring pressure?
Yes, the fork spring pushes the emulator down on to the top of the damper rod.

Czakky

Thanks DV.

@AAA, I'll snap some pics but, it's not much to explain.

Czakky

I wrapped this up earlier this week and finally got my test ride in yesterday. Full disclosure i freshened the springs a few years ago and never set sag correctly so this was a two bird scenario while the forks were apart. Huge improvement though! I didn't want to change too many thing at once so I used the same fork oil weight (20w) besides needing to go to a 10 or 15w it is awesome!

My one screw up was not paying attention to where I drilled the extra damping holes and getting into the threads where the bottom screw holds the damping rod to the lowers. Otherwise I flattened the top first with a hacksaw albeit carefully, then file and dressed it on a flat piece of sandpaper. The bottom of the emulator won't fit into the opening so out comes the tiny tension pin. Unscrew the bushing/top. Then I used a big enough step bit (11/16"?) which I had to shorten with a cut off wheel to save the threads inside the bushing. The only other thing I did was grind a tiny nub off the end of the emulator so that the pin would go back in. A guy could tap it and run a set screw too I suppose.

Move slow and careful, or send it to your buddy with a lathe!

Czakky

I forgot mention. Check your sag beforehand and make the adjustments to your spacer. The emulator adds a bit of preload, so measure and take that in to account. I ended up taking about 19mm off my spacers and am about perfect with correct springs from Racetech.

bitzz

Just so ya'll know
These "emulator" things control compression damping and the oil viscosity controls rebound damping

Not enough compression? Tighten the spring on the emulator
Not enough rebound? Increase the viscosity of the oil.

The damping rate has very little to do with the rider's weight. That's the spring's job.