Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

R5 Emulators

Started by Czakky, November 09, 2020, 09:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Czakky

Looking to upgrade my forks this winter. I'm looking at doing the Racetech Gold Valve Emulators.

Does anybody have instructions for these on R5 forks? I think there was some machining required, but can't remember....

sav0r

I think you just have to drill the damper rod, it can be done on a drill press.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

m in sc

same as an rd

its a bit more than that, you have to deal with the pin though the rod, but its not hard. I have pics at home how i did it. 

Organicjedi

Rd400 rods have some more machining to do as the domed top needs to be cut off.

R5s and 350s just require drilling I think two holes at the bottom of the rods and then chamfering the holes. Your emulators will probably come with instructions or you can get them from the Race Tech website.

Organicjedi

Quote from: m in sc on November 09, 2020, 10:06:52 AM
same as an rd

its a bit more than that, you have to deal with the pin though the rod, but its not hard. I have pics at home how i did it.

R5s and 350s have to have the pin removed too... Good to know! That's easy to do.

rodneya

If it is the same as the 350 you may as well get the spacers from Racetech as well

m in sc

i flattent the tops as well i think to get the emulators to fit. Mind you i ran the copies but they work really well. installation needs are the same.

Czakky

Sounds like I can handle it myself. I can't handle the lack of damping anymore...

Thanks for the input :clap:

m in sc

for sure, its easy. i'll try to dig up the pics tonight.

RDFL

I thought you had to turn them down to fit smaller diameter tubes?

m in sc

nope. i dropped em straight in from mikes xs for 35mm forks. just had to mod the rod, not the valve. 

AAAltered

Bill you should post a "How To" when you do it....in my case the forks are the last area of upgrade needed.
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

m in sc

well, i -thought- i had more pics, but don't. in my defense i was literally a week away from a divorce looking at the pics dates so  :whistle:

heres the mikes xs valve sitting on the cartridge. note i 'flattened' the top of it so it sat flush.

This is on the lightweight rd, so i trimmed the spring spacer the same amount of space the valve used. been working really well for about 4 yrs.

these are the valves i used:
http://www.2strokeworld.net/wp-content/uploads/lightweight-rd/forks/fork-valve-emulators.pdf

oxford

It's not quite apples for apples but I was supplying adapters and modding the damper rods for the Kawi triples.  Here is a link to those pics and a little info. 

http://kawatriple.com/tips/forkmods.htm

For those interested in the subject, there is a lot of information available on the racetech website but you do have to dig a little for it.

Basics of the install is you need to open up the bottom of the rods so enough oil can flow through that the emulator can handle.  This is done by drilling additional holes or some have milled slots.  You want the emulator doing it's job. 

The top of the rod needs to be open so the oil can flow through the emulator.  Some fork rods requires the top to be drilled out or cut off, top of this should be square as possible.  Lathe is the best but a square and file will work.

I can't remember all the details but there is a height where the emulator should sit, this information is on the racetech website and when  I designed the adapters for the Kawis I followed this.

From what I remember on the RDs, racetech was suppling a lighter spring that goes on the top of the emulator.  This tells me the springs supplied for the MikesXS clones will also be to heavy, although it appears some have been using them with out issue. 

It would be nice if we could confirm what springs racetech was suppling and find a replacement on McMatster Carr.

m in sc

well, my bike is under 250 lbs wet and it works just fine. I did run alight oil too, this matters as well. (think i twas spectro 10wt?) I don't feel the need to change the springs in the valve at all. its pretty far out on the adjustment but not all the way at all.   :twocents: