Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

75 RD 350 petcock rebuild

Started by Kawtriplefreak, November 11, 2020, 04:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kawtriplefreak

Petcock was leaking from where it goes up against the bottom of the tank. Thanks John at Economy Cycle for the rebuild kit and some fuel lines that actually fit. I bead blasted the petcock as it was looking pretty grimy. While I had the tank off I installed my new digital turn signal flasher from NAPA and a used rear brake light switch from my 74 RD parts bike. After a 12 hour leak check I took the RD out for a little 25 mile romp in the record high temperatures of 77 Degrees on the 10th of November. Fun was had. Wheelies were pulled. Speed limits were decimated. No leaks were noted in the post-flight inspection. The factory petcock attachment screws were replaced with stainless Allen head hardware from Rural King per M in SC and the unobtainum O rings for said screws were replaced with John Deere diesel o-rings. The face plate screws both stripped and those were replaced with screws cannibalized from an old RD tach.

rodneya

I got a rebuild kit from somebody in Washington on ebay and it came with the unobtanium o rings and new screws for the face plate. The main seal was OEM.

I had to sand down the back face of the handle part to remove the corrosion and get a smooth sealing surface.
Nothing more annoying than a fuel leak

m in sc

well done.

Ive had good luck using stat o seals on the bolts.  .02

rodneya

When I put mine back together I added little plastic and mesh screens to the pipes inside the tank.

Kawtriplefreak

My petcock lever was hard to turn after reassembly and I realized I hadn't polished the surface smooth. So I got a piece of 800 grit and 2000 grit wet or dry tri my and a piece of glass and went to work.

Kawtriplefreak

And of course both of my recently cannibalized screws stripped on the face plate cover and ripped out the threads. Per M in SC I bought an assortment of M3 and M4 screws at True Value hardware. I tapped the holes with an M3 tap and added a flat and a lock washer and it works like a champ now. Thanks Mark! :patriot: :patriot:

m in sc

Czakky

Kawtriplefreak