Deals Gap Parking lot triage, looking at sunroofed #2:

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

CD Ignitions for RD400C

Started by Matt Warburton, November 17, 2020, 09:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Warburton

Looking at options for my 1977 RD400C. Not a stock rebuild but a custom Steve baker replica with seat/tank/swingarm from CMR Racing, R6S 43mm forks, etc....

Dyna S or Vape?

Pros and cons for each?

rodneya

Vape, or even an HPI system. That way you replace the entire charging and ignition system with something modern. The spark on my vape is huge, never fouled a plug, unlike my stock points bike.

Dvsrd

I'd definitely go for VAPE or HPI. Both are significantly lighter than the OEM stator/rotor/regulator/rectifier/coil system. And can be run without a battery. If no battery, the total weight savings is at least 10 lbs, if not more.
The VAPE has more lighting power available as well, an 80/100 w H4 headlight bulb is no problem. No carbon brushes to wear out.
Also, the VAPE rotor is lighter, and sitting closer to the LH main bearing. Which gives less stress on the crank. The trigger geometry is way better than points, and also better than a Dyna Or other electronic trigger located where the points were. This gives more stable timing, as crankshaft dynamics at  high rpm will cause bending oscillations at the far end, where the points cam is located.

m in sc

if you're going super minimalist, go hpi. also has a built in curve that works really well and is super light.

bitzz

Matt Warburton

This is for a street bike so being able to run without a bettery, yet still power lights is a plus. How tricky to install the VAPE setup? Who sells the HPI setup?

m in sc